HybridZ

bolt on rear brake upgrades

gibbon

hi guys, i decided to post this here rather than the brake tech forum as theres a bit more traffic here.

i'm looking for the easiest way to upgrade the rear brakes on a 280zx. not that keen on going to a 5 stud setup, or making up sets of adaptor plates. is there anything that bolts straight up? thanks in advance

hi guys, i decided to post this here rather than the brake tech forum as theres a bit more traffic here.

i'm looking for the easiest way to upgrade the rear brakes on a 280zx. not that keen on going to a 5 stud setup, or making up sets of adaptor plates. is there anything that bolts straight up? thanks in advance

I just did a full on turbo swap to my 81 280zx N/A and put the rear brakes from my 83 280zx turbo donor car from the subframe and I can tell you made a bit of difference nothing huge oviously but better than stock N/A brakes stops on the dime and didn't have to alter anything so try that or just look on eBay!

afaik, there isn't a difference between 280ZX Turbo and NA brakes, just a difference between Zenki ('79-'81)and Kouki ('82-'83) brakes.

The Zenkis had a large elephant ear looking caliper with a smaller pad but a larger rotor (but just slightly)

The Koukis had a regular looking small single piston caliper with a slightly larger pad and a slightly smaller rotor.

I don't have any firsthand experience with both of them, but I would think the Kouki setup would be slightly better.

• 6 months later...

i was talking to a HR31 passage owner and he said that the R32 skyline rear breaks are a straight fit on his rear cradle and i know a few people use HR31 rear cradles in there S130's due to them being "the same" i have not had a chance to verify this as being an option for S130's..

i was talking to a HR31 passage owner and he said that the R32 skyline rear breaks are a straight fit on his rear cradle and i know a few people use HR31 rear cradles in there S130's due to them being "the same" i have not had a chance to verify this as being an option for S130's..

113727d1194053211-es300-a-c-or-cabin-filter-change-97-01-holy-thread-revival-batman.jpg