HybridZ

Need help getting information on this Turbo

ksbeta

Good Morning,

I bought my first Z over the weekend, a Green 1970 240z. It's a running project car, really in pretty good shape, but the guy just had other priorities. He gave me all kinds of neat facts, something about no bracing existing in the doors or hood to lighten it up ("deathtrap" being the word he used), but it runs great and is a blast to drive.

He had a turbocharger kit that he threw in with the car. It's made by RAJAY INDUSTRIES, INC and, well, I'll spare you the little I know, because it's probably wrong. If anyone would be gracious enough to have a look at these photos and tell me what they see, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks much.

Bill

http://picasaweb.google.com/WDesrosiers/1970Datsun240z?feat=directlink

post-11698-12747011863573_thumb.jpg

post-11698-12747011967134_thumb.jpg

post-11698-12747012038889_thumb.jpg

post-11698-12747012114948_thumb.jpg

post-11698-12747012192564_thumb.jpg

post-11698-12747012257439_thumb.jpg

post-11698-12747012327634_thumb.jpg

post-11698-12747012440851_thumb.jpg

post-11698-1274701250472_thumb.jpg

post-11698-12747012567218_thumb.jpg

post-11698-12747012639213_thumb.jpg

post-11698-12747012717351_thumb.jpg

post-11698-12747012797649_thumb.jpg

post-11698-12747012881775_thumb.jpg

post-11698-12747012954482_thumb.jpg

I see a plate of Linguini a women who looks like oh great...and a old draw through rayjay setup. Pretty much trashcan fodder. keep the intake and the wastegate ditch the turbo.

Your valve cover is worth a little bit of coin as well.

Edited by yetterben

Hey thanks for taking a look, yetterben. I'm pretty new into the Z world and don't know squat about these older parts.

The Linguini was delicious. The lady was not impressed.

Ok so the Rajay stuff is junk, huh? Bummer. It wasn't my goal to turbo the car, but if I had some decent stuff on hand, it may have been something to consider down the line. What's the story on the valve cover?

Hey thanks for taking a look, yetterben. I'm pretty new into the Z world and don't know squat about these older parts.

The Linguini was delicious. The lady was not impressed.

Ok so the Rajay stuff is junk, huh? Bummer. It wasn't my goal to turbo the car, but if I had some decent stuff on hand, it may have been something to consider down the line. What's the story on the valve cover?

I don't know if I'd call the setup "junk." Its probably not worth spending the money rebuilding the turbo and sourcing the parts needed to complete the setup, but its not junk. Clean everything up and put it on eBay if you're not going to use it. Might get some money for it.

I don't know if I'd call the setup "junk." Its probably not worth spending the money rebuilding the turbo and sourcing the parts needed to complete the setup, but its not junk. Clean everything up and put it on eBay if you're not going to use it. Might get some money for it.

RAY JAY is not junk by far. the make turbos for aircraft, but the prize for rebuilt with nowadays turbo prizing might be steep...

SO weher does the carb go here ? or the injectors for that matter? Looks neat! and time period.. i love it !

RAY JAY is not junk by far. the make turbos for aircraft, but the prize for rebuilt with nowadays turbo prizing might be steep...

SO weher does the carb go here ? or the injectors for that matter? Looks neat! and time period.. i love it !

Similar to the Crown/Turbo Toms, etc. Standard Exhaust Manifold with an adapter. Tho that one looks to be non-standard and a weld-el rework--the original stuff was a mandrel bent thick wall tube that corroded out evenutally...

A period piece as Frank Mentioned, with any number of Holley TB's or even a GM TBI and standalone you could take care of the cold drivability issues inherent in that design and make a decent daily driver which would look 'period modified' as the modern electronics could all easily be hidden under the big air cleaner.

I've seen 10 second Z's (and an 11 second ZX) that run that system, they can make power. just depends on how much you want, and what tradeoffs you are willing to live with in a daily driver...

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, I'm dumb and slow. The thing that says "Turbo Z" on it; that's a Valve cover?? That doesn't seem right to me, but like i said, I'm kind of dumb. Is that what that part is actually called? Someone said it was worth "a bit of coin" - why? Why is that impressive?

Thanks again.

Guys, Thanks for all your help, but a time comes when a man just has to cut his losses and stop trying. It's all up on ebay now, along with the Holley carb that came with it. I won't post the link because I'm pretty sure thats against forum regulations. Thanks all. Bill