HybridZ

APEXi Power FC Repair? > FP circuit

rayaapp2

So yesterday I went out to start the car in the morning and the car would not start. The Ignition Fuse had blown. I found it and replaced it. Then I noticed the fuel pump was not priming. So after a bit of testing the circuits for the pump I decided to try the stock ECU. The stock ECU works with no problems. So its gotta be the ground switch inside the Power FC.

I opened up the cover on the FC and did not see any heat scoring or obviously burned up components. So the next step is to contact a reputable shop for repair.

Im open to suggestions. The ONLY one I can find is in the land down under. Can someone please post a anti-flyback circuit as well so I can permanently resolve this issue. As many RB25DET ecus I have seen with this circuit burned out on the boards this fix should be public knowledge.

I KNOW jeffp has the circuit! if he does not post I will have to give him a phone call and then post the solution up here... I vaguely remember him warning me about this.

Found the culprit.

The fuse that supplied power to the ECCS relay had an intermittent problem. That particular fuse was a 12V source at all times. The little glass fuse was apparently defective and every time I tested it it was good. YES I ohm'd out my fuses and voltage drop tested them... So with a clear head I went out to the car this morning and noted that the relays and apexi boost valve were rapidly clicking again like power was not being applied through the main voltage circuit. I went to pop the fuse out and suddenly everything came on...

I also noted that the fuse gets warm after long periods of driving. Its not hot, but maybe the heat aided the defect.

My guess is the heat, bumpy roads, and defect in the fuse caused the power failure that induced the voltage flyback that took out the fuel pump ECU ground.

The place in Australia no longer services any ECU.

Found this place and sent an email... still open to suggestions. Im going to duplicated this thread on SAU and cross my fingers.

http://www.risingsunperformance.co.uk/shop/index.php

Edited by rayaapp2

APEXi-USA says they can repair the unit for me. They offer repair services starting at a minimum $50 fee and up to a $350 repair fee for a complete replacement. I spoke with their techs on Friday and on Monday and requested a RMA # to send it off.

It sounds like they send it out of the US to get repaired. The turn around is about 1-2 months.

APEXi-USA says they can repair the unit for me. They offer repair services starting at a minimum $50 fee and up to a $350 repair fee for a complete replacement. I spoke with their techs on Friday and on Monday and requested a RMA # to send it off.

It sounds like they send it out of the US to get repaired. The turn around is about 1-2 months.

You can always run the stock ECU!

You can always run the stock ECU!

I will have to re-plumb the wastegate. The boost controller is run through the APEXi ecu and reroutes the wastegate lines through the boost valve rather than just controlling a bleed like the stock unit.

Im not convinced the stock ECU has a good fuel or ignition map for the way the engine is setup. The first time I dyno'd it I had the AFR go lean. The engine should still run with the stock ECU, but I dont know how safe it would be to use. I have other cars though.

I'm sure the stock ECU is remappable, most everything is now. The RB25 has short and long term fuel modeling circuitry like anything else, it should be straighforward if there is a software package and interface cable available (and I believe there is...)

For some reason the rest of the world doesnt like the stock RB25det ecu. I think it has something to do with the variable intake cam. Anyway the stock ecu has no IO other than the Nissan 2 data connector. The other Nissan ecu boards have sockets built in or spots to install daughter-boards that can be interfaced. The RB25DET ecu does not have any provision...

I have the Blazt Nissan Data Scan Software that utilizes the on-board Consult data. The software can temporarily manipulate certain criteria, monitor a bunch of other outputs, read/erase stored codes, and put the ECU into base mode so you can set things like timing or idle. Data Scan is really just a way to set the base mode settings and a cool diagnosis utility though. It connects through the OBD I Nissan 2 connector.

The thing I wish they made for the RB25DET is NIStune! NIStune offers Z32 TT ecus to be swapped into the RB25det, however it requires some slight repining of the ECU connector. I am unsure what other differences there are for that ecu swap. Id rather opt for something specific though that just bolts in. I have grown accustom to the APEXi interface through the FC Datalogit program. Its very simple to program. The instructions are straight forward. I have no clue as to what the NIStune interface is like. Since the RB25det board is one of the harder ECU boards to interface with a daughterboard, Im sure if there ever is a NIStune solution that it would be comparable in price to a good used APEXi Power FC. However the FC Datalogit and built in boost controller with MAP reference just blow the competition out of the water... or at least for the price I picked it all up for; lets see: APEXi Power FC used: $500, FC Datalogit (datalogger/programer/input.output daisy chainer):$200,APEXi add on boost controller: ~$204 (I bought the Power FC and Datalogit as a package)

On another note I sent my Power FC off. The Power FC runs about 700-900 used and the most APEXi is going to charge to fix mine is $350, so that probably worth the wait. We are in the middle of moving so its not like Ill be enjoying long drives in the Z anytime soon. Ive been watching my other post about the air filters too and tossing the APEXi air filter idea around. I have to figure out how to make it fit.

Edited by rayaapp2

• 2 years later...

I sent my PFC back to Apex Integrations USA, who sent it in a batch off to the homeland for repair. It took about a month, but was only $!00-$150 to fix. Thats cheap compared to what AEM charges for repair and around a tenth of the cost of a replacement unit.