HybridZ

Starter Relay Mod...gone wrong?

Hey guys,

A while ago, we installed a starter relay to help fix a starting problem, but it seems as though it hasn't worked out the best. We still get the imfamous "click" even though the battery is in proper working order and the wiring is fine. I think we shot ourselves in the foot when we installed this because (if I"m right) we still used the same high current source which is the problem in the first place (correct me if I'm wrong). I went ahead and pulled the relay off to inspect things and figure out if I could remember how it all worked. Unfortunately, I can't figure out what wires on the stock wiring harness do what. I'll come back to this.

While I was at it, I pulled all the terminals off the relay and discovered that they were corroded (and keep in mind, this relay is only a year old and has been sealed from water by electric tape and its cover:

100_9001.jpg

100_9004.jpg

This is the first time I've ever really messed with a relay and have learned how they work. I knew that there was "stuff" under there, so I went ahead and pulled the cover off to find this!:

100_9005.jpg

100_9006.jpg

100_9007.jpg

100_9008.jpg

This isn't a big deal because I can just get a new one, but I'm just curious as to why this is rusted/corroded and if there is something I can do to prevent it or if its a sign of a bigger problem.

Back to my wiring situation.

Right now, I'm trying to clean up the wiring and make sure all connections are appropriately fastened and that I know where everything goes and why. Here is what was connected to the relay:

100_9014.jpg

Basically, there are three wires coming off the factory wiring harness: the red heavy gauge wire (I'm assuming this is the high amp source which is causing the problems) and two black wires with yellow stripes.

Right now, I'm thinking that these black with yellow stripe wires are the switched source, but why are there two and why do we have them come together into one spade connector? I forgot which number on the relay it connected to (I'm assuming either 65 or 86 since its probably a switched), but I'm confused as to why there are TWO. I believe the main problem here is that we are still using the factory power source that supplies power to the solenoid. Like I said, we're chasing our tail because the purpose of the whole mod is to use the relay to engage a better power source.

If you guys could tell me how to properly hook up a relay to my starter so that I can eliminate the problem, I would appreciate it so much.

Here is a link to the basic guide to how to wire it. I'm pretty sure this is the way I want to do it, but correct me if I'm wrong.

http://www.biopatent.com/solenoid.html

One more thing. When you turn the key to "on", how is the car receiving switched power? Is it from the starter somewhere? I'm just a little confused, maybe that is what the second black.yellow striped wire is for?

Thanks guys!

Edited by jacob80

For the rust and corrosion issue, where is the relay located? Possibly a better place can be found.

For the relay connections.

85 Switched power from ignition (starter circuit). Most likly black/yellow. Use test light/multimeter to make sure.

86 ground

30 Goes to prong on solenoid

87 Fused 12 Volt constant

The ignition switch itself makes Acc/Ign.

The second black/yellow wire, does it just go back into the harness wraped in e tape?

For the rust and corrosion issue, where is the relay located? Possibly a better place can be found.

For the relay connections.

85 Switched power from ignition (starter circuit). Most likly black/yellow. Use test light/multimeter to make sure.

86 ground

30 Goes to prong on solenoid

87 Fused 12 Volt constant

The ignition switch itself makes Acc/Ign.

The second black/yellow wire, does it just go back into the harness wraped in e tape?

Wrapped in tape? I guess i don't understand. Are you saying the wire wont be connected to anything? Sounds a little weird to me.

Ditch the relay and get a ford starter solenoid. A typical relay usually isn't going to handle the amps required for the starter.

Could you either be more specific with a part number or photo? How many amps is the relay? Do you have a writeup or have a write up for the install or can share your experience? Also, where do I pull power from?

Still not clear as to why there are two black/yellow stripe wire leads (switched).

Ditch the relay and get a ford starter solenoid. A typical relay usually isn't going to handle the amps required for the starter.

A relay is fine for the current needed to trip the solenoid, which is what the OP is doing, not trying to run the entire starter from it.