HybridZ

For those w/ rear disc conversions

If you still need a rear kit there is a guy In Las Vegas that makes a rear disk conversion kit that is AWESOME for $399. I cant remember what he uses but a few people in my club run them and have had no issues what so ever.

If you can't find them on CL I'll have him post it here.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

sorry guys i've been busy w/ work since the last time I logged in. Yeah this computer is really bad and will not upload my pictures, dont know why. so no pics. BUT the kit is installed and I have already tested it. It doesnt feel right, the brakes arent grabbing as much as i thought so I think I might need a proportioning valve.

sorry guys i've been busy w/ work since the last time I logged in. Yeah this computer is really bad and will not upload my pictures, dont know why. so no pics. BUT the kit is installed and I have already tested it. It doesnt feel right, the brakes arent grabbing as much as i thought so I think I might need a proportioning valve.

All a prop valve will do is reduce the amount of pressure to the rear brakes. From your brief description it sounds like perhaps you have air in the system somewhere, or need to bed the pads in. Adding a prop valve is a good idea, but won't solve either of those issues.

FYI, there are quite a few threads here where people have experienced the same thing as you. Usually it's because of one or more of these 3 things:

1) they didn't bench bleed a new master cylinder before installing it

2) they let the MC go dry during bleeding and didn't bleed it too

3) they installed the calipers on the wrong side upside down and the nipples are at the bottom so unable to purge the trapped air.

• 2 weeks later...

i think it might be air in the master cylinder.. I have bled all the calipers and the brakes are strong, not spongy at all. i remember when I bled the rear that the master cylinder did run dry, can that be the problem? I've never bled a master cylinder before any advice?

i think it might be air in the master cylinder.. I have bled all the calipers and the brakes are strong, not spongy at all. i remember when I bled the rear that the master cylinder did run dry, can that be the problem? I've never bled a master cylinder before any advice?

If your master cylinder has bleed nipples on it, then bleed it just like you would the calipers.

Nigel

'73 240ZT

I have a 260z Late model I believe [guessing from the huge bumpers]. My drum brakes hardly work and the shoes are about gone so I've decided that instead of replacing them I will convert them to disc brakes. I have done some research and read for about 3 hours now. So far I have read about using maxima brackets and I do not want to go that direction, I've read some people have trouble with the 280zx calipers .

I also read about using the brackets from Modern Motorsports which uses the 88-94 240sx rear calipers and 83-85 300zx rotors.

I wanna know which packages you guys have or which rear conversions you guys have. Which ones are easy to do and give good results. Thanks guys!

I've done both the Maxima and MM. Both are bolt on and will do the job. The cheapest was the complete Maxima setup : brackets, rotors, calipers [later went to the 240zx calipers for parking brake alignment] and dust shields. One big advantage with the Maxima is that you can bolt up just about any 14 inch wheel. MM will have clearance problems with most Datsun 14 inch alloys, depending upon your offset. Hard to find.

G

I've done both the Maxima and MM. Both are bolt on and will do the job. The cheapest was the complete Maxima setup : brackets, rotors, calipers [later went to the 240zx calipers for parking brake alignment] and dust shields. One big advantage with the Maxima is that you can bolt up just about any 14 inch wheel. MM will have clearance problems with most Datsun 14 inch alloys, depending upon your offset. Hard to find.

G

So did you have problems with the Maxima setup with the parking brake? Considering both of these options now but leaning towards the Maxima setup because of price.

craig

Will the MM brackets with the 240sx caliper setup clear 15" wheels?

yes it will. I do recommend it. They look great and the MM parking brake adaptor hardware bolts right on the parking brakes to the 240sx calipers. I have the 14" rims on mine and only had clearance issues with one wheel so i just grinded alittle on top of the caliper, you shouldnt have any problems with the 15" wheels.