HybridZ

Japanese Drag Racing.

Megatherion

Awesome video! In part 2 can anyone provide some insight on what the green S30 (they talk to the owner almost the whole video) had under the hood? I didn't see anything that looked like a No2 set-up so he put out a 10 second run out of an N/A straight 6...That's impressive.

Awesome video! In part 2 can anyone provide some insight on what the green S30 (they talk to the owner almost the whole video) had under the hood? I didn't see anything that looked like a No2 set-up so he put out a 10 second run out of an N/A straight 6...That's impressive.

Read this?

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?/topic/90037-japanese-na-l6-400hp-how-they-do-it-pictures-ive-found-etc-not-56k-safe/page__p__854228__fromsearch__1&do=findComment&comment=854228

Its just about like... general stuff, but I think some of the green Z is in there.

When you get that under the hood view in the video, what do you see? 50-55mm carbies, not too sure which. 50's are used a lot for those guys but 55's are also used sometimes from what I've seen.

t9cec0.jpg

Big carbs don't flow well at low RPM. TonyD gives a good explanation, which you can piece together with the other information such as the horsepower formula which basically widdles down to having a good amount of torque at higher RPM, where most of us have torque drop off into the gutter. If I remember correctly, torque was around 200-250 even at like 7000RPM (don't hold me to that though). TonyD also made the point of dyno calibration, which I suppose makes power figures close to moot, compared to 1/4 mile times. :D

-Big ports

-Big carbs

-Header dimensions (length, diameter, collector)

-Well balanced/engineered motor to perform high RPM's

-Torque at higher RPM's = more horsepower

-Preferred transmission/rear end ratios for drag racing

Read over that thread if you're interested. I'd recommend going over it just for reading pleasure, aka toilet reading, because a lot of the stuff is jibber jabber I wrote up and I can point out a couple things in there now that I know are incorrect in some fashion. I'm not a professional.

Edited by josh817

• 3 weeks later...

From what I can understand, it's a 3.2L "kit" which that garage offers. It consists of a custom made crankshaft, pistons, connecting rods, pulleys, and is running a 4.375 R200 rear end with a Trust 5 speed Nissan Silvia transmission. Engine power is 392ps, and best time was that day of the video at 10.91. Carbs are 50mm Solex units, with custom made exhaust manifold and exhaust system. Prefers to use Solex over Webers due to ease of tuning. Pillow upper mount suspension, spring rates are 4kg/mm up front and 5kg/mm in the rear. Some custom work underneath and he's searching to get at least another tenth faster in the 1/4 mile.

Hope that helps you out, but my Japanese isn't fluent enough to catch everything.