HybridZ

megasquirt tune troubles

whitechocolatelove

hey i just got my z together and im having troubles getting a base tune that works right.

it wont idle smooth it jumps between 800 and 1500 and when i hit the gas it acts like it hits a rev limiter.

its running pretty rich with quite a bit of smoke. ive followed megamanuals instructions with no luck.

im using the new 3.57 version and i set it up for 12x12 tables and set the tune to exactly mobys ve and spark,

and i set my settings according to megamanual.

im running stock injectors, fuel pump, regulator and the required sensors for megasquirt but no iac.

also got a t3/t4 with external wastegate, fmic and hks bov.

can anybody shoot me a base tune that works?

If the idle is jumping between 800 and 1500 I wonder if you have something else wrong - perhaps a vacuum leak? That doesn't sound like something due to MS given you're not letting it control an IAC.

Also, what do you mean by " and when i hit the gas it acts like it hits a rev limiter"?

If you haven't already done this, try out TunerStudio for tuning instead of megatune. It has an autotune feature called VE Analyze that really works well. Of course, you need to get your timing and AFR tables squared away. Then just drive. It's not perfect, but it's the best I've seen so far for MS.

My setup is different enough from yours that I don't think my msq would do you any good, especially since I'm running MS2/Extra.

I'll second what Daniel said about TunerStudio. The auto tune feature works really well and most certainly better than a novice (me) tuner.

Derek

Oh and my tune won't help you either as it's for ITB's.  

sorry for the late reply ive been working late. but today i got a chance to use ve analyze and i didnt have any luck. so far at this point

i cannot even get my engine to idle smooth. when it does stay running slightly loping between 400 and 1100 rpm i hit the gas and it jumps up to about 1800 and dies until it goes back down to about where it was before. i do not think that im having a fuel or ignition map problem but possibly a setting that is incorrect. so far i have followed all the info i can for the msII v3.57 but there isnt a WHOLE lot of help to work off of. ive followed megamanual and entered the settings accordingly. does anyone have a msII v3.57 setup? if so any help would make my day! ill search the archives for more info also. if i had to id pay for a decent setup that at least gets me on the road.

Can you email me a data log of your idle and when you hit the gas? Also send me your tune and I can take a look. But double check for vacuum leaks. Have you done the noise reduction mod? Also, under accell enrichment tuning, see if you are getting any noise through your MAP and TPS (noise will look like spikes in the graphs while the car is running).

Edited by S130Z

just sent ya my tune and my datalog. i also explained everything i could in the email. no vac leaks, did not notice noise through the sensors

and i have not dealt with accel enrichment tuning. just ve analyze. so far i think the real problem is my lack of knoweledge as far as basic setup and basic tuning procedures. its an area im still trying to get used to especially after all the problems i went through with zxt electronics.

First thing, your battert voltage seems kind of low. Now go into the tuning bar, then accel Enrichment and just underneith the graphs, change your 100 value to 0. Then change your MAP Dot thresh to 75. Then in your MAP dot graph, make a linier line going from ~2 PW @ ~80kpa/s to about 6.7 PW @ 500 kpa/s. See if that helps.

yeah my voltage is low because ive been cranking it over soooo much trying out different solutions and it hasnt had enough running time to charge. it just started getting low last night. i gotta leave for work now but ill be home around 6 and fiddle with it then. im excited, i hope this helps. thanks!

so i adjusted the map dot values to what you told me and filled them in between. i couldnt figure out how to change

map dot threshold though. i still started her up but it wouldnt stay running. lots of backfire but less smoke and this

time it actually responded to throttle input a lot better. i was able to bring the rpms up a lil better.

still no significant change. i sent you another email including some datalogs and my current updated tune.

• 2 years later...

Old thread but I seem to be having the same issue, can anyone give me some direction on what I need to adjust to move my distributor 60 degress.  Just to give an idea on the timing currently is... the car was running the the stock computor before I installed the the Megasquirt. 

It's an 83" turbo...

Your distributor does not need to be moved at all. In the spark settings in megasquirt there is an offset called spark trigger angle. If your distributor and shift are installed correctly, most people end up setting this somewhere between 40-60deg. You'll know you have it set right by using a timing light and verifying that your #1 cylinder is firing at the advance you have set in megasquirt. Adjust your trigger offset angle so that these values match.

Your distributor does not need to be moved at all. In the spark settings in megasquirt there is an offset called spark trigger angle. If your distributor and shift are installed correctly, most people end up setting this somewhere between 40-60deg. You'll know you have it set right by using a timing light and verifying that your #1 cylinder is firing at the advance you have set in megasquirt. Adjust your trigger offset angle so that these values match.

The trigger angle is how many degrees BTDC when the optical sensor in the distributor gets a pulse. So when the ECU sees the signal it knows the engine will be at TDC in X degrees (set by trigger angle). With MS you need a trigger angle at least 10° more than the maximum advance you plan to run because the ECU needs time to calculate the firing angle. With a 60° trigger angle you will be able to run 50° degrees of advance, far more than you'll need. We throw around 60° as the trigger angle because that's roughly where the L28et sensor sits (81 CAS or Optical in the dizzy). The older VR distributor needs a very different trigger angle due to how it was constructed.

Now your trigger angle will most likely NOT be 60°. To get the exact trigger angle, you'll do what calpoly-z said. Using the Fixed Angle on the Spark Settings page to lock your timing to a specified degree (10 for example) and check it with a timing light while cranking. Change your trigger angle to until you get 10° exactly.

Guys,

I set my spark advance table to "0" and then in the spark settings, I have Trigger angle addition set to "0" and Trigger angle (Deg) set at 50.

Now on my timing light I am reading 41... I guess that is because of the 10 degree latency, I this correct?

Thanks for everyones help.

Just to make sure I understand this correctly... I set my trigger angle degree at 50 or 60 and check while cranking the car. On my timing light do I set it to 50 or 60 and line it up on the zero mark? Or should I set my timing light to 0 and line it up to 0.

Thanks again for the help

You should use fixed angle, it will completely bypass the spark map settings and use whatever degree you type in for all RPMs/Kpa. I've never tried using an advance as low as 0 degrees, MS might act strangely (I have no idea), I would suggest using a fixed angle of 10 degrees to test.

Anyway, if you did enter 0 and your timing light is showing 41 degrees, that means you are 41 degrees advanced (trigger angle is off by 41 degrees). It should be showing 0°, according to your settings. To fix this, you would have to set your trigger angle to 9°, so something is wrong.

Set your fixed angle to 10 and try again. Also you might want to check your distributor. I never had access to a 82/83 distributor (I had an 81), but if the distributor can be rotated make sure it's close to the middle.