HybridZ

Need 2 MM spacers for J30 VLSD conversion

chrism

Does anyone know where I can get a set of 2MM spacers for my J30 VLSD. I swapped my original ring gear from my 83 R200 diff with a J30 diff.

The original R200 ring gear has 10mm bolts.

J30 diff uses 12mm bolts. There have been a lot of post on this topic but I can't find a source for the spacers.

Not getting anything on Google. Just a lot of companies that sell washers.

Thanks

Did you swap the ring gear or the carrier? Ring gear is matched to the pinion. You do not want to change just the ring gear.

Mongo

Does anyone know where I can get a set of 2MM spacers for my J30 VLSD. I swapped my original ring gear from my 83 R200 diff with a J30 diff.

The original R200 ring gear has 10mm bolts.

J30 diff uses 12mm bolts. There have been a lot of post on this topic but I can't find a source for the spacers.

Not getting anything on Google. Just a lot of companies that sell washers.

Thanks

I am in the middle of doing the same swap. What are you doing for axles?? I got the j30 axles an stubs, swapped the diff side cv over to a 280zx halfshaft. And then put the 280zx companion flanges on my 240z stubs. I havent tried to bolt everything up yet, but they sure do look like they are going to be too long with the j30 stubs in the longnose r200. Any help would be great

You guys are way ahead of me. I don't have much idle time so it's gonna get done when it gets done.

This is a 75 280z. I'll be sending my companion flanges in for adapters at Modern Motorsports.

I put the J30 carrier into my R200 diff housing. I have the original Ring and Pinion still in my R200 housing.

Now I'm at the point where I need to check back lash. Once that is done, I'll close it up and get it back in the car.

What I have been trying to find out is if a Z31T stub shaft will fit in the J30 carrier. Has anyone done this before?

If so, then I would only have to get the companion flange adapter.

Chime in if my assumptions are incorrect.

:)

Edited by chrism

let me know if it works. I am trying to go vlsd and having a hard time finding axles that will work. I tried putting J30 interior cv joints on a set of 280zx cv shafts, and then putting the j30 stubs into the diff. But the 6 bolt stubs would be a little too close to the A arm. So now I put a welded diff in and HATE it! I really need to figure this out...

• 3 months later...

I tried using 280zxt cv axles with the J30 bearing housing at on end and the 280zxt bearing housing on the other end. The short shaft fits the passanger side.

I have to shorten the springs and make the cover on the end of the CV axle that connects to the companion flange flat.

This shaft is still too long for the driver side. The output shaft on the J30 stick out further than the original 280z output shaft. That is what is making this do difficult.

I might try looking at a Q45 axle next. Not sure if the tripod bearing will fit the splines on the Q45. If it does and the Q54 is shorter, that might work.