HybridZ

Fuel surge tank! I need one!

80LS1T

After installing a new Aeromotve Sunami fuel pump early this spring I am now running into fuel cavitaion in my fuel pump when I do donuts and when I run the tank below 1/4 of tank. This pump flows way more fuel that the MSD pump that I replace so thats why I didn't have the problem before. I bought this pump because I'm going to be swapping out the LT1 for either a 5.3 or 6.0 chevy sooner than later. I can't stand the LT1 and I'm bored with the power it makes! So the Gen 3 V8 + turbo will be a near future project!

Anyways, I know a lot of you are running fuel surge tanks but where are you getting them? Summit doesn't seem to have them listed(or I can't find them...) and all of ebay's stuff is from Hong Kong or Australia(I'd rather buy from the states if I can to avoid any shipping issues).

Thanks!

QUOTE: Anyways, I know a lot of you are running fuel surge tanks but where are you getting them?

I have a custom fuel cell with an ATL bladder that gave me fuel starvation problems in corners before I installed an ATL anti-surge set up inside. It's a simple little fuel holding area with trap doors and works well. http://atlfuelcells.com/

Edited by Mayolives

Im trying to avoid a custom fuel cell at this point. I like being about to use my filler neck to fill up so I'm trying to avoid a fuel cell. I think I am just going to have a buddy weld me up on out of alluminum. Im getting some rough dimensions tonight and then Im going to give them to him so he can have a look.

I have made a few posts in the fuel section, with pictures of my setup. I can not remember the brand pump I used, but it was a low pressure, high volume pump. (Holley, or Carter made it) I need to remove my entire system to change something around, and should know the pump then if you haven't bought one already.

http://www.tweakit.net/shop/product_info.php?cPath=57_40_29&products_id=126&osCsid=3s8sovcm89a1iao8ulo0v8ec40

I know you said you wanted to buy in the US, but I couldn't find one either so bought this from Australia. I had it week after I placed the order online. Double check the nipples will be big enough for your next build - my power goals are more modest than yours :)

I'm still running an airtex low pressure pump to fill it. It was rated 2-3 psi from when I ran triple webers. I'm sure you could go with something in the 3-6 psi range if it was easier to source.

• 2 months later...

Well I finally had enough time to work on my car and get this thing built...but its not working as I planned. I ended up having a friend weld up an alluminum tank and put some fittings on it. The tank is about 1.6 liters. I used the Tsunami high pressure pump and a mallory 15psi pump. I think the 15 psi pump may be causing the malfunction that I'm having but I'll take any other ideas...

Problem is that I can only build 30 psi of fuel pressure. I have the low pressure pump feeling the surge tank, the return line dumping into the surge tank, a line from the surge tank acting as a return line for the surege tank, and a line feeding my high pressure pump. I also have a check valve in the return line so that fuel from the surge tanke doesn't go up that line. I am stumped at this point, I figured the check valve would fix this but after installing it there was no change. I have tried adjusting the regulator but that hasn't helped either. It almost sounds like the high pressure pump is aerating but I find it hard to beleive with the surge tank feeding it....

Anyone have any ideas?

i don't think a check valve is needed...there is going to be fuel returned to the surge tank...it's always going to take the path of least resistance...and a free flowing line back into the fuel tank will be the route it takes....although i don't think that is your problem. how are your lines routed...this is mine and i have no problem building 50+ psi. i used a summit something like 90gph 15 psi pump....and the walbro 255lph feeding the rail. the walbro picks up from the bottom of the surge, the feed, return from rail, and overflow to the tank are at the top.

IMG00002-20090602-1652.jpg

September.jpg

Edited by bobbyc

• 2 months later...

I am actually going to ditch my initial design of the tank being mounting horizontal back by the fuel tank. I am gonig to make a new surge tank to go up in the engine bay with the high pressure pump and remount the low pressure pump in the stock location. I think my tank was too short and I was still sucking air into the high pressure pump. I wont know until after the engine swap if my new tank will work like it should though.

I used this surge tank from bcbroncos.com

ACC%20SHORT.jpg

http://www.bcbroncos.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=131_108&products_id=1355

Its pretty cheap and has pretty much everything you need. The fuel filter at the bottom acts as the reservoir and a pickup tube that extends down for the high pressure fuel outlet. The metal housing has NPT ports for 3/8 and 5/16 lines and also includes a mounting flange with bolt holes. I'm not sure what your options are but I was easily able to package this, the low pressure, and the high pressure pump all in the back near the stock locations. If the 1/2 qt is too small they have a larger 1 qt filter reservoir as well.

Cant attest to how great it works since my car's been running a week but I havent had any problems yet. I'll be testing the car to verify its all as it should be very soon.

• 4 weeks later...

I was searching fuel surge tanks on the web and came across this post. Interesting stuff. I was just looking for something for my rally-cross Subaru 2.5RS.

There is a lot of good info on this site, so I just joined.

Just thought I would add something else I found while searching: http://www.radiumauto.com/universal-efi.php

It is a company that makes Lotus turbo kits, but they have a bunch of fuel system parts too. Their surge tanks look very nice...Aftermarket pump is in the surge tank as one package. Guess that cuts down on plumbing.