HybridZ

P79 Valve spacing

So I used the haynes manual for my car, which said .030mm intake / .025mm exhaust ... I set it to that standards doing the one half at a time like it says. Terrible power loss and overwhelming ticking noise, louder than my glasspack exhaust!!!

So I called up a local Z car club guy that builds L28 motors, he said he always runs .011mm intake and exhaust. Back I went to the garage, changed it to that spec. The ticking was not as loud, but still seemed too loud to be healthy, I havent taken it for another run since I changed them to the .011 spec.

What intake/exhaust specs would you run on a stock p79 head with flat tops, because clearly whatever I'm doing is wrong?

First of all, hot adjustment specs are 0.25mm and 0.30mm not .025mm and .030mm! Secondly, your Z club fellow probably meant .011 inches not millimeters...

You need to get the units straight. Also make sure that you are using the correct set of feeler gauges, standard or metric. I'd pull off your valve cover and take a look at your valve train carefully at this point.

0.25mm and 0.30mm translates to about .010" and .012" FWIW.

*I got the specs from the 240Z FSM, assuming that valve lash between 240Z and 280Z is the same.

First of all, hot adjustment specs are 0.25mm and 0.30mm not .025mm and .030mm! Secondly, your Z club fellow probably meant .011 inches not millimeters...

You need to get the units straight. Also make sure that you are using the correct set of feeler gauges, standard or metric. I'd pull off your valve cover and take a look at your valve train carefully at this point.

0.25mm and 0.30mm translates to about .010" and .012" FWIW.

*I got the specs from the 240Z FSM, assuming that valve lash between 240Z and 280Z is the same.

yeah I got it straightened out Leon, thank you lol