HybridZ

Was running fine on 6 cylinders...

csm240z

I'm at an end trying to figure out what has been causing this so maybe you can help. I'm not extremely savvy car wise. This is kind of a learning experience for me.

But I had the car (72 240z L28et w/ megasquirt and EDIS) running fine and tuning the idle. Then I quit for the day, tried starting it up and it was hesitant. Once it finally did it was running really rough and seemed to be misfiring. I've gone through everything trying to figure out what is causing it, I get spark on all the plugs, injectors are all good, swapped EDIS and coilpacks, reloaded firmware on megasquirt, changed battery and alternator.

Like I said it almost sounds like a misfire and when I pull the plug on one of the two middle cylinders it smooths out like it was running before...the only thing I can think of is that the head gasket is blown between the two and when one ignites it lights the other...but then again I have no clue and would like to steer away from pulling the head right now.

Would appreciate your help

A wasted spark is when in an ignition system in a four-stroke cycle internal combustion engine spark plugs fire in pairs, on both the exhaust and compression strokes. The extra spark on the exhaust stroke has no effect and is thus "wasted". This design is simpler than a conventional ignition system, but the extra sparks can reduce the lifespan of components (contact breaker, spark plugs).

If your firing order is off you will have issues. BTW i couldn't put that in my own words so i pulled it from wiki

Edited by stony

An EDIS coil pack for our L6 actually has 3 coils in it. Each coil fires 2 plugs which are matched to the pairs of pistons that move in sync. Stony is correct that each pair is fired at the same time for simplicity, but only one cylinder will have any air/fuel and hence make power. The other is wasted.

To the OP, I would double and triple check that you have the plug wires attached correctly. From what you describe, that's most likely culprit.

Even if the thier are 3 coil packs, since they are firing on a ext/comp stroke then you would have all cyl fireing all the time? Maybe Im being dense.

Anyhoo, possible emf from a wire on the two center holes. Feild becomes too great? Spark plug that has become to resistive? (causing bleed to ground)