HybridZ

Can I re-use my SS braided brake lines with the 4x4 front brake swap?

Hey guys,

Just looking for a quick answer. I don't know if the flare fittings will work becuase I haven't purchased the setup yet, but I'm looking to move to the 4x4 front (non Vented) brake setup and the rear S13 brake setup and I'm just wondering if I'll have to buy new SS brake lines? I currently have the SS lines from MSA for my stock 240Z front calipers and rear drums . . . anyone have any idea? The more money I can save the better!!! :)

Edited by New-to-240z

DAMN! that would have been nice! So, do they both use the same type of banjo fittings? Can I just order a set of 4 SS brake lines for the 240sx (since you can get them pretty damn cheap) and just use my stock hard lines to connect up to the SS lines for both the 4x4 fronts and 240sx rears?

Thanks again!!!

I will if I have to, but it would be much better to not have to, and just sell my 240Z SS brake lines on here. I'm just trying to save as much money as possible. The TTT rear end conversion is pulling a lot of my wallet, but is also getting a lot done that I need done in the meantime. :)

Anyone else have any ideas?

Edited by New-to-240z

Non-Vented 84-85 Toyota 4x4 Pickup brakes bolt right on with no modification other than trimming the dust shield.

There are no banjo fittings on the S12+8s [Non-vented toyota calipers]

You may use your stock lines.

Here is a picture of them installed on my 78.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh81/flatblack280/Z%20pictures/103_1844.jpg

Um... but yeah you can sell those SS lines to me if you'd like B)

Edited by flatblack280

I thought both the vented and non-vented used the same fittings. I know my vented require a banjo fitting. You're saying the non-vented don't? If so, my mistake - sorry for the bad info.

You're looking at the picture on a stock lined car ;)

Notice the crappy stock soft line in the back haha. I need to upgrade but I'm lame and don't want to spend $70 right now. [still need an Optima, new tranny, etc etc]

so, it sounds like I can keep my stock SS lines for the front Non-Vented 4x4 calipers and rotors, and then only have to buy a rear set of SS 240sx lines for the 240sx calipers . . . SWEET!!!!!!!! I can not tell you how happy I am now! FlatBlack, you want the rear set for like 25 bucks shipped? I know it isn't the full set . . . but its something :)

FlatBlack, you want the rear set for like 25 bucks shipped? I know it isn't the full set . . . but its something :)

Yes I do. The MSA set *should* be all the same, so fronts/rears it doesn't matter. The part number is the same from front to back according to the A/Z computer.

Glad to help you out ;) email me for paypal info... flat black 280 at gmail dot com

Edited by flatblack280

I have both toyota 4x4 (vented) and 240sx rear conversion kits sitting in my garage right now. I too am a bit confused as to the interchangeability of the brake lines. I have the banjo lines that came with the 240sx and tried fitting them on the 4x4 and it seemed to take a bit of pressure to get it threaded (maybe due to build-up/paint). I didn't want to strip anything so I didn't try it all the way.

Any definite answers?

Edited by Tyler

Uh... weird. I am quite positive that I reused the stock little hard line with my non-vented 4x4 calipers. I bent one side up trying to get it off of the stock caliper so I actually made a new one and then kept using it on a stock caliper when I found that I had way too much front bias with the big calipers.

Jon, I think you are saying the same thing as Flatblack280z: that the non-vented toyota 4x4 calipers can use the same hoses as the stock calipers. My first comment probably caused the confusion when I assumed (mistakenly) that the non-vented calipers used the same fittings as the vented. My mistake, and again, sorry for the confusion.

HAHA, thanks for the input everyone. I'll be taking on this project soon. As soon as TTT makes my rear end conversion setup, I'll be ready to put it all together and swap everything out. Hope it all goes according to plan. (it won't, it never does haha)

I thought both the vented and non-vented used the same fittings. I know my vented require a banjo fitting. You're saying the non-vented don't? If so, my mistake - sorry for the bad info.

Been awhile since I did mine, but i just used 240z ss lines for my vented front set up

Edited by Sideways

I tried my banjo bolt from the 240sx caliper and it fits a vented toyota 4x4 caliper. Double checking the other end- is it a female 10mmx 1? How about angles? Fronts and backs the same?

Also, I messaged an ebay seller and he sent me this link.

Custom SS Brake Lines

So you can choose any size fittings, angles, lengths, and finishes.

Edited by Tyler

• 1 month later...