HybridZ

GM auto fit in the transmission tunnel.

260DET

I know that a Z32 manual gearbox will basically fit a RHD 280ZX but the tunnel has to be modified to clear the starter motor, how about a GM 4L60E auto? Anyone tried one or something similar in size?

Edited by 260DET

I am running a 4L60E in my 77 280Z. I had to cut the stock tranny mounting ears completely out and beat on the upper area on the passenger side a bit to clear the dip stick (stock 4L60E dip stick will NOT fit I am using a Lokar).

I know that a Z32 manual gearbox will fit without 'massaging' the tunnel, how about a GM 4L60E auto? Anyone tried one or something similar in size?

I've installed an LM7 with a GM4L60E a/t and the JCI engine/transmission mounts in my Series 1 S30. Previously, the body was massaged as per the JTR manual for installation of a CSB (Gen III LT1).

The driver's side tunnel was massaged with an air hammer to clear the AT shifting arm [i'm using the stock AT shifter with a rod to control the transmission shifts] About 2 hours work with air hammer and small propane torch.

I have no problems at all with the AT dip stick.

All of this is covered quite well in the JTR CSB swap manual.

gwink.gif