HybridZ

Replaced clutch master - Now pedal is lower, cant move clutch fork too far!

First off, hello guys, I just bought a 77 280z, 4spd from a charity auction so I decided to join a Z forum. I hear that you guys and also zcar are the best... This car is clean and nice, just been sitting in a garage for 23 years! I'm changing the clutch master, and oh man I'm going nuts! I have also changed the slave, just mentioning this, so this slave can be ruled out for the problem:

I installed the reman clutch master cylinder I bought from Auto Zone today. First thing I noticed is that the fork on the end where the cotter pin goes through is holding my clutch pedal down about a quarter of the way. My old master cylinder, though in terrible shape, let the clutch all the way up. So I thought nothing of the pedal situation and proceeded to bleed the slave. After all that, I noticed the slave shaft is not going out far enough, just about only half way. The only explanation would be the pedal issue, but I've already extended the fork out as far as it will go!

Basically, the clutch pedal cannot travel far enough to disengage the clutch! This is a brand new part! Anyone have any experience with this?

I hear that the 1976 and up models have a different master cylinder... is it possible they gave me wrong one (pre-1976)? On AutoZone's website, it lists part# CM1356 for a 1977, which is what the bag I got that the master cylinder came in says on it... weird.

Or, maybe I'm doing something wrong? Can someone shed some light on this poor car?

Many thanks and appreciation,

Rod R.

Edited by decalservice

I've used the same clutch master cylinder on my 72 240z and my 77 280Z with no problem. HOWEVER I will say that I've been in the parts business for a number of years, and I try not to buy from AutoZone for two reasons. First, more than half of the S30 parts I have asked them for over the years have been completely wrong. So wrong in fact, in trying to find a backup/neutral safety switch on 240Z 4speed, the part they had listed was for a BW T5 transmission.

The other reason is that the quality of there parts is terrible.

So assuming you got the right part from autozone. When you installed the master cylinder, did you unscrew the piece that connects to the pedal to match the distance of your original one? That determines the amount of pedal travel to engage the clutch, and to me it sounds like the problem.

Edited by Austin240Z

I've tried to make this public info on here, maybe the search engine isn't picking it up.

If you buy the clutch master cylinder from AutoZone, you MUST put your stock rod back in the re-manned MC.

There is a C-clip that you need to take out, otherwise it's really easy. Just pop the black boot off and you'll see the clip.

hydraulics.gif

Even with the new rod adjusted all the way out, my slave cyl wouldn't fully release the clutch PP.

I told a manager I know at AutoZone about the problem and he said there's not much he can do about it. You get what you pay for. [it's really cheap and has a lifetime warranty]

Edited by FlatBlack

I've tried to make this public info on here, maybe the search engine isn't picking it up.

If you buy the clutch master cylinder from AutoZone, you MUST put your stock rod back in the re-manned MC.

There is a C-clip that you need to take out, otherwise it's really easy. Just pop the black boot off and you'll see the clip.

hydraulics.gif

Even with the new rod adjusted all the way out, my slave cyl wouldn't fully release the clutch PP.

I told a manager I know at AutoZone about the problem and he said there's not much he can do about it. You get what you pay for. [it's really cheap and has a lifetime warranty]

Same problem I have with my 240sx. Your pedal may also be worn out but I am pretty sure that flatblack did an entire post on this somewhere. Yes?

hydraulics.gif

Autozone's parts in general are really low quality, Have a few people I know who work there and come buy parts from me when they work on there cars. Talked to a few of them, and yeah, there isnt much they can do about it.

Good info btw, I'll try to pass that along as well.

Same problem I have with my 240sx. Your pedal may also be worn out but I am pretty sure that flatblack did an entire post on this somewhere. Yes?

In addition to issues with parts, there's also a TSB on the 240SX hydraulic clutch system. The front end of the car needs to be higher than the back, between a 30-40% angle to proper;y bleed the clutch. This isnt really a problem if you're working in your driveway with a jack, but from experience, I'll tell you that trying to bleed it on a lift when the car is level proved to be an hour long failure, until we checked the TSBs.

Autozone's parts in general are really low quality, Have a few people I know who work there and come buy parts from me when they work on there cars. Talked to a few of them, and yeah, there isnt much they can do about it.

Good info btw, I'll try to pass that along as well.

In addition to issues with parts, there's also a TSB on the 240SX hydraulic clutch system. The front end of the car needs to be higher than the back, between a 30-40% angle to proper;y bleed the clutch. This isnt really a problem if you're working in your driveway with a jack, but from experience, I'll tell you that trying to bleed it on a lift when the car is level proved to be an hour long failure, until we checked the TSBs.

Oh the bleed on the clutch is good. Did it in the driveway. No jack, just got under the car. Its good enough that the pedal has no spring, clutch just comes back from the back pressure.

• 1 year later...

hydraulics.gif

This worked for us as we got the CMC from AZ for $19.95. Saw that it was shorter, but like a dummy thought it would work. Took it right back off after finding this 2 year old post :P !!

Up and running great!! :rockon:

Thanks!