HybridZ

MSD Experience/opinions

280zbeeT

how was your experience with the MSD ignition boxes?

I have MSD6a, going to install just wana make sure its the right choice this box over spending more money starting all over with the ls1 coils..

so ya, do you like the MSD? how much power are you running with the MSD? what ECU? was it better then LScoils? was it easier, or better for reliability of the engine? just anything you can throw out there.. Thank you guys. :)

I ran a 6AL on my L6 for years with triple carbs. Worked great, increased mileage and I felt that it increased power, although I never dynoed the car.

A friend of mine ran one on his L4 with Mikunis, and he did back to back dyno pulls with MSD and without and had something like 11 hp gain if I recall, which was a pretty huge increase.

You'll read about how failure prone they are. If you're worried about it, just run the module right in the MSD, and if it fails, plug in your original module again. I had a spare pigtail and an E12-80 module in my glovebox just in case, but mine never failed.

You mention LS coils. If by that you're referring to Ron Tyler's setup, that is FOR SURE superior to MSD. MSD still relies on the distributor, and the distributor is inherently inaccurate. Ron's setup runs off of a crank sensor which is much better for high rpm accuracy and the dwell time for the coils is MUUUUUUUUCH better on Ron's.

Edited by JMortensen

I'm running MSD6A with MS.

The MSD box tach-out triggers MS and then I use IAC1 (tach out) to run the stock 280Z tach.

My only complaint with the MSD box is that it can be pretty noisy. Currently its located under the floormats on the passenger side.

Originally, I ran MSD in lieu of the stock igntion box. The wiring isn't very difficult, but I needed the MSD 8910 adapter to run the stock EFI box.

Wouldn't say that adding MSD is a major performance upgrade, but you'll notice smoother idles and perhaps a little more top end. Definately better than the stock ignition box, IMO.

Car is '75 280Z.

Edited by tennesseejed

I too ran an MSD6A with triple webers and my experience mirrors Jon's. However, I will say having just finished an EDIS swap that for not that much more money, you could go EDIS which really is more stable and doesn't have the dwell limitations of a single coil design. Plus, the parts are available at just about any JY if you have a failure. In fact, if you have a decent condition distributor, you might be able to sell it and the MSD box and make a slight profit :)

Although you didn't ask about EDIS, I'll add that the only downside I've found with EDIS so far is if you run an ECU like Megasquirt that uses spark cut to implement rev limiter or boost control, you have to switch to fuel cut. EDIS has a fail safe mode that defaults to 10 degrees advance when it doesn't receive any signal. While this is probably a great feature for a Ford Explorer, it's incompatible with spark cut.

I ran a distributor some years ago with a MSD Digital 6 and SDS EFI, the timing was retarded with an MSD Boost Timing Master. The setup was used due to a large shot of nitrous being used, the Digital six failed twice and was repaired by MSD on both occasions. I would keep the MSD unit as far away from exhaust heat in the engine compartment as I could get it.

mm, well unfortunately, I just found out today I no longer have the msd6a box.. so now I gotta decide what I want to spend my next paycheck on that is compatible with haltech.. Im gonna just go with LS1 coils.. but, they Really hard to install is the only part I am unhappy about haha. well some people have told me that.. cus of the trigger wheel, and the initial setup.. thank you guys.

You mention LS coils. If by that you're referring to Ron Tyler's setup, that is FOR SURE superior to MSD. MSD still relies on the distributor, and the distributor is inherently inaccurate. Ron's setup runs off of a crank sensor which is much better for high rpm accuracy and the dwell time for the coils is MUUUUUUUUCH better on Ron's.

Not entirely correct. Ron used the distributor from an 82/83 turbo with the CAS. I am using the same setup on my car and use LS-1 coils. I may eventually go to a trigger wheel, but for now I am happy.

These are old pictures (MSA 2008)

med_EngineMSA1.jpg

med_EngineMSA2.jpg

Ron's setup is nearly the same save for the mounting bracket for the coils. I am using LS1 coils from a Trans Am and run uses the truck coils. They are different.

YES! SEE! That is Exactly what I want!! Exactly! And for that, all I need is the coil pack, bracket, and wiring harness? Gets rid of my dizzy, No use for a trigger wheel and is compatible with haltech e11v2? he has posts and topics on here Im sure??

and also, for when I get the LS coil packs, how hard is it to wire up? and diagrams are easily available Im sure?

Crank fire is EDIS. Still will require a trigger wheel and a sensor. I thought Ron was doing those, using a Ford system. I know he posted about it a while back because I was thinking about doing it before I decided to go V8 (LSx has crankfire built in).