HybridZ

240sx KA24DE noise

Well, I have what sounds like might be a broken rocker arm. It is a KA24DE, it has a horrid noise. It stalls out, is burning oil of some sort, isn't running right at all. I know they are notorious for the timing chain rattle, I don't believe it is this because everybody reporting the rattle say that there isn't a power issue or anything making the car run bad with this. I can also smell gasoline in the oil. Any ideas, haven't gotten to pulling off the cam cover yet. I am totally S**Ting my pants because its my daily. It stalls out and doesn't want to start back up and I have no other car that I can drive.

until you pop off the cam cover its hard to tell, but maybe the chain snapped or the crank is broke. Or just the valves are bent/broke.

my friends KA24 lost a valve and it had all sorts of power still,but it sounded like **** (like it was missing) there was gasoline mixed in everything, and it was basically all of the symptoms your showing

Ok, I think I figured it out. The gas in the oil is because its a freaking old car. Going to change it and see what happens. Other than that, it was overheating because the water pump is bad (that is where the noise is coming from). That is what made it run like crap. I popped off the radiator cap to find it nearly empty. After it had cooled down it seemed to run much better. I am going to replace my water pump and probably the radiator and hoses just in case they leak. Hopefully I am not dumping money into a lost cause.

Hey i forgot to say that you should remove that top guide anyway if you open the valve cover. It's a known recall and will eventually break and Nissan says it's un-needed. That's if it's not already removed.

Edited by goodoldjam

Hey i forgot to say that you should remove that top guide anyway if you open the valve cover. It's a known recall and will eventually break and Nissan says it's un-needed. That's if it's not already removed.

I may just do that. If it gets rid of any noises that will be good. I really hope I didn't get it to hot so it blew a head gasket or anything. I really don't wanna screw with it, finally getting work done on the z because I had something to daily drive and wasn't wasting money on other stupid crap. Now this happens.

I may just do that. If it gets rid of any noises that will be good. I really hope I didn't get it to hot so it blew a head gasket or anything. I really don't wanna screw with it, finally getting work done on the z because I had something to daily drive and wasn't wasting money on other stupid crap. Now this happens.

If it's actually broken it makes a rattling sound at the front of the valve cover. It basically snaps off and then surfs on your timing chain. You can tell by the way it sounds, anything mechanical would usually be in sync with engine speed. The sounds it makes is random, the guide is just 2 bolts and is bolted down right behind the chain.