HybridZ

HELP Attention needed immediately

280zbeeT

Okay to begine.

This is my setup, ORIGINALLY the setup cam tuned on my haltech with a N42 block with DISHED standard pistons..

Okay, so I finished my rebuild, and engine swap. SO NOW I HAVE A N42 block with FLAT tops and .30 bore with haltech STILL TUNED TO THE PAST BLOCK (N42 WITH DISHED PISTONS)

Now, my haltech is triggering my ignition and sequential injection..

THE PROBLEM

We finished the build today, everything is hooked back up! BUT THE CAR WONT SPARK! I guess I am getting a SPARK TO THE DISTRIBUTOR BUT NOT TO THE CYLINDERS?? The car will not turn over!!! What could this be??? my buddy thinks my dizzy may be MESSED up, its not a normal dizzy tho! but its nothing special, yet we cant figure it out.. Its not from a turbo 280zx, cus he has that dizzy and its different.. mine does have a harness hooking up to it from the haltech as well.. what could I be missing??

I am so eager to get my car up an driving so I can start tuning it..

This is not our first swap, actually this is the 2nd engine we have transfered All my engine upgrades over to, and we never had this problem

ONLY DIFFERENCE

The only difference, is this time we put COMPLTELY new gaskets, so that means we had to take off the timing chain and start over on timing..

COULD THIS ISSUE BE BECAUSE MY TIMING IS NOT RIGHT?? My buddy is doing the timming, and claims it is TDC, but before that it was 180degrees.. Please give me any advice or ideas as of what this could be..

The dizzy was just put on this engine from my old engine about a week ago, and had NO PROBLEMS BEFORE

The only differene now.. is I bought some NGK Platinum, G's with a .44 GAP COULD THIS CAUSE ANY SITUATION? I believe it.. and also off topic, but is this a safe gap??

THIS IS MY SETUP - I AM RUNNING STOCK COIL IGNITION TRIGGERED BY MY HALTECH no msd or LSX coils.. please advice. how would I be able to tell if it is my dizzy??? thanks you all! I will keep reading to find the answer!

Engine Upgrades:

76 280z w/

82 280zx p90head

75 280z n42 short block .30 bore

ARP Rod Bolts

ARP Head Studs

76 Intake with 60mm Throttle Body

Rx7 550 Injectors

Rx7 Oil Cooler

24x12x3 Intercooler

2.5" Intercooler Piping

HKS Blow-off Valve

Haltech E11-V2 With flying lead harness

Palnet Fuel Rail with Fuel Gauge

Tial Wastegate w/17 PSI Spring.

GT30R Ball Bearing Turbo

DynoMax 2.5 Welded Exhaust

Dual Electronic Fan from Summit

82 Maxima Alternator

Zeitronics Wideband with EGT sensor

Walbro Fuel Pump

K&N Air Filter

Stainless Steel Lines

CenterForce Clutch

MSD 6a ignition (NEVER INSTALLED)

HKS Turbo Timer

Boost Controller

Drive Train:

240SX 5 Speed Transmission

B&M Shift Kit (Sport Short Shifter)

3.9 Rear End

Spicer U Joints in Driveshaft and Half Shafts

Brakes:

Toyota S13 Calipers in Front

Drilled Rotors

Stainless Steel Brake Lines

ZX Brake Booster

Suspension:

Tokico Illuminas 5 Way Adjustable Shocks

Tokico Reds 5 Way Adjustable Springs

Poly-Bushings all the way around

MSA-Sway Bars

Is this Dizzy the same one you used before??? Do you know what engine it's from?

Get your timing 100% straight first.

1. Set Crank to TDC

2. Pull valve cover. Are the front cylinder's cam lobes sticking up like bunny ears? If they're down then rotate crank 360 degrees

3. Once timing mark is at TDC and cam lobes are sticking up pull the dizzy cap. Is it pointing towards your #1 spark plug wire?

If all this checks out then your timing setup is good mechanically. It's amazing how it can be off without you realizing though. Check this video so you can actually see what I mean about the cam lobe positions

I think he starts talking about the timing around the 2 minute mark. Good guy, knows what he's talking about. He's also running Halteck E6k iirc.

So again, if all this checks out, your problem is probably related to the haltech. But we'll need a lot more info to troubleshoot that side.

It's probably not the spark plugs.

I bet it's a timing issue. It's really easy to get the cam timing off. Did you at least crank it slowly by hand to make sure there wasn't any clearance problems? (not a condoned method by me, but it's at least something for those that are tight on time)

I figure out the dizzy is from a Z31, and I guess the timing was off, so my haltech wasnt sending a signal for spark to the coil, so I gotta re do the timing.. but the the chain was to loose so we to the crank off for some reason, an now we cant get it back on the cam, so we gotta start over again. :(

• 11 months later...