HybridZ

possible turbo exhaust leak

I've got an exhaust leak under the hood of my 77....I have an 83 turbo swap and a nasty exhaust leak that makes a loud ticking whenever I accellerate. Not to mention the fumes, it's not fun to drive right now.

The PO, or whoever last worked on this turbo, didn't put any lock washers on the turbo/exhaust manifold nuts and they all backed out, causing the gasket to blow out there. I'd like to go ahead and to it all while I have the intake and exhaust manifolds off. I have intake/exhaust manifold gaskets, what do I need for the turbo? And where can I find it?

James

You can get a full turbo gasket kit at O'Rielly's [T3 flange gasket, DP flange gakset, oil inlet/outlet gaskets] for a 88 Merkur XRTi. It has an oil-cooled T3 and the full kit is ~$9.

They also have the intake/exhaust manifold gasket in stock [at least every time I've bought one they've had it in stock].

Edited by FlatBlack

Here's a thread I started with some ideas on how to best secure the turbo to the manifold. I'll suggest you get new turbo studs and distorted thread nuts. There's no point to using lock washers as the heat will soften them so that they'll be flat when you take them off.

In my case with a T3/T4 hybrid I had to pull the head in order to get the wrench on the nuts, so hopefully will NOT be doing this again any time soon. For your sake I hope you don't have to go through all that.

• 2 years later...

It's been two years and I never replied to this thread to tell anyone what happened. The nuts on the turbo were loose and I did need a gasket. Used the Merkur gasket from Oreilly's and it worked fine, but that wasn't the cause of my problem. I had a blown head gasket. When I did the compression test I immediately knew what caused it. SEAFOAM. I blew the head gasket when I seafoamed my car the previous summer and had been driving it the entire time thinking I had an exhaust leak. I did, sorta - exhaust blowing out the left side of the engine. Used a Beck-Arnley metal gasket with copper spray and ARP head studs. Even used that little wood-block-in-the-timing-chain trick I think I learned on here. Has been fine ever since.

Lockwashers (split) are useless in high vibration, high heat applications, period.

Are you saying Seafoam hydrolocked your engine and blew the gasket?

Sounds to me you detonated. The turbos blow the head gasket under the exhaust manifold side when they detonate. You won't hear it detonate, but you will hear it after the head gasket fails.

Let me guess: Cyl 4/5/6...

No it was actually #2 I think. Might have been #1. Yea, apparently it *grabs dictionary* hydrolocked. Probably poured too much in too quickly.

I remember that at the time it was running insanely rich. The back side of the car was covered in soot. It was before I put the Megasquirt on it, which stopped that. I never could get the AFM set right no matter what I did to it.

• 2 weeks later...