HybridZ

Talk me out of it, if I am crazy-- M power 240?

• Administrators

For those interested, here is a running S52 for sale, pulled from a ’97 M3 sedan that is receiving an LSx conversion located in Portland OR, (deja-vu). Yes local to us, no we do not know him nor have we met, yet, :wink: just found it for sale a few minutes ago.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1502748

Price is fair for a good S52. :2thumbs:

Do it, BMW makes amazing motors. I can't wait to see the S52 swapped local 260Z. I dream of swapping an S54 into my Z. My dad has a ~700 whp S54 (built bottom end) that can still run to the 8k redline with the stock head and valvetrain, and completely stock internal S54s have seen 700+whp on the dyno. German 2JZ! They are spendy though.

and completely stock internal S54s have seen 700+whp on the dyno. German 2JZ!

So... 700hp for a 12sec quarter? :P

Seriously though, you'll most likely be happy with any of Munich's finest. If you decide on one however just make sure that you get the sump issue resolved. Most (all maybe?) bmw's have chain driven front oil pumps and that may be hard to clear with the Z crossmember, depending on your choice.

Sorry I have been away, I just started a new job and have been dragging my ass home. I work in the oil patch. I actually am building blowout preventers. Oddly, there has been a lot of attention paid to getting them checked and recertified lately.

I do like the German motor. Mostly it's feel, partly familiarity, partly relative abundance. They seem to be easier to find than the RB25 or JZ... at least for non-m-powered motors. Found a 1997 328 with a totalled front end for $1500.00 this week. About 140,000 Km on it.

Looks like I am finding the engine before I find the car.

I wouldn't choose the M52 in the 328i personally... I've got one, and I don't find it responsive enough for a sports car. You should be able to find an S52 (ie: M series engine) for not much more than that. Try www.bimmerparts.com since you aren't too far away. (Fort McMoney I assume?)

• 8 months later...

resurrection of a dead thread.

(I changed my name from Mok runner, I meant for 'mok runner' to be my byline.)

Anyway I found the engine yesterday. I found a 97 m3 with VANOS s52 3.2 litre, 106,000 miles with 5 spd auto. Mind you I am not convinced that I should tear it apart now. I don't even have a donor Z yet. The body is damn rough but the motor is a smooth as a kitten's bum.

If anyone has a donor in western Canada with no engine, I am considering my options now. If I do decide to do the swap, I will try to join the exalted ranks of the M-powered Z gang. That seems a ways off to me right now though.

I would imagine you've been following RTz's build, but if you havn't there's a few main issues with doing this swap, all are solvable however.

1) Engine ems: BMW didn't want anyone stealing their cars, so there's a transmitter in the key that syncs up with the ignition and ems to make sure a specific key is starting it. No key and sender ring, means no starting. To get around this you can A)Do an OBD1 manifold+wireharness swap B) Talk to Bimmerworld and get your ems modified or C)Standalone!

2) The final gear on the normal M3 5 speed is 1:1, so you have no overdrive. If you plan on running a diff of anything higher than the stock 3.23 that came in the Bimmer, you'll be running kinda high rpm's down the highway. If you're ok with that, cool, if not, the 6 speed out of the modern E90 3 series, the E46 M3, and the Z4 all bolt up to the S52. They aren't as smooth as the 5 speed, but it's not a tractor transmission, and you get a 15-17% overdrive.

3) The speedo on the Bimmer runs off the diff in those cars, so unless you have it, you'll have to do something else. You could use a hall sensor on the driveshaft or whatever diff you're using and wire that up, or just spend the money on a GPS Speedo and not worry about it.

Oh and if it hasn't been done already, I'd change the thermostat housing to a metal one. The stock plastic ones suck and are famous for breaking.

Good luck!