HybridZ

T5 with an LT1 - Any Problems???

Agreed look for a 88-92 camaro/firebird.

As far as the slave for the T56 I'm not sure I too got one from autozone but for a 92 T5. You will need the bigger master though :rolleyes:

Cool! Got the master cylinder issue covered! I will do some part number cross checking on the slave...

I put a "wanted" ad out on CL this morning and got a call within an hour. WC T5 out of a 91 Z28. Supposedly has 60k on it. Bell housing, fly wheel and hydraulics. He wants $600. Seems a little steep, but I will check it out and see what is up. If I got one call, I assume that I will get more! :D

I stumbled across a low mileage WC T5 from a 1996 V6 Camaro. Trans and bell housing for $200!

The bellhousing won't work on a V8, and the '96 V6 Camaro trans has a "vertical Ford" style bolt pattern between the trans-bellhousing.

Plus all the internal differences that Dan mentioned.

The bellhousing won't work on a V8, and the '96 V6 Camaro trans has a "vertical Ford" style bolt pattern between the trans-bellhousing.

Plus all the internal differences that Dan mentioned.

Thanks for the extra info Trevor.

Now I have a BIGGER dilemma! I called a guy last week about a 4L60E and never heard anything back. He just called me and I am REALLY thinking about it. It is a Hughes Performance 4L60E that was in his 94 Camaro. Has less than 3k miles on it. Wrecked the car with air bag deployment and it was totaled by the insurance company. He has the receipts for $1800! He does not have the converter, but I have a Precision Industries 3k stall that I was going to use on the Impala. I can have it for $400!!! I will go look at it tonight and make a decision.

While the 5 or 6 speeds seem like they might be a bit more "fun", the auto is practical and a great deal! WHAT TO DO???? :unsure::lol:

Tim

IF the price is right go with the auto, and since you already have the converter why not?

On the other hand do you have the ECU, make sure it will work with an auto. If not I have one from a 94 Z28 w/4l60e for sale for $75.

Thanks for the offer! I have 2 PCM's. One OBDI and the original OBDII from my Impala. I am good to go. I even have a loval programmer that will come to my house and program for beer! :lol:

I just did some digging in the garage and realized that I have a Hayes neutral balance flywheel too!

Looks like it will be a 4L60 for me! Trans is SPOTLESS! Picking it up tomorrow afternoon! All of the "big" parts have been purchased!

Just for grins, here are a couple of "teaser" pics of the car. A lot of "in progress" stuff going on. Will be running this weekend with the new 2.8L. :D

Thanks again to everybody for all of the great input!!!

The new paint color... 2006 Mazda "Blazing Copper Metallic" Engine comp is done - painted 3 weeks ago. true basecoat/clearcoat setup. Jams will be done in 2-3 weeks - hope to finish all paint by October.

EngCompNew2.jpg

EngCompNew5.jpg

New front steering. All powder coated and pretty... 4:11 R180 (for now - R200 with LT1) and all rear suspension is done too.

FrontEnd2.jpg

FrontEnd1.jpg

FrontEnd4.jpg

Prelude seats, carpet and Grant wheel installed. Dash pull and guage install in 2-3 weeks.

Int1small.jpg

WheelInstall1small.jpg

4-Runner Calipers and new rotors (still need to do rears).

BrakeUpgrade4small.jpg

BrakeUpgrade5small.jpg

BrakeUpgrade7small.jpg

Old engine - new 2.8 will look exactly the same (using same parts) for the short duration that it will be in the car. Radiator and fans will work on LT1. Complete NEW 2.8 Engine will be for sale by December!

Engine_067.jpg

Engine_071-1.jpg

Edited by SSuspect

• 3 weeks later...

I have run both the world class T5 and non world class T5 in my drag racing 240 with 650hp. (450 + 200 shot no2) and I can't tell the difference.

the difference between the WC and NWC is the syncro material, not the strength.

the V8 T5 is stronger than the V6 (don't use a V6 T5).

slow shifts and normal size radial tires will allow the T5 to live a long life.

Get the NWC T5 if that is the one you found and run it without any worries.

Many people have said that the T5 is a better option than the t56. This is due to the fact that the t5 is much lighter than the t56, and that the extra gear just means more shifting. Also, I have heard that the extra gear does not give you anything more besides an extra shift, as with the gearing, weight of the car, and power of the motor, it does not matter as much.

Trust me, a nonWC t5 can more than hold a stock LT1. Expect to pay at least 4 times as much for the T56.

Edit, also in some S30s (esp the later ones) a t5 means that you do not have to cut off the trans mounting points or hammer out the tunnel.

The extra gear really is useful if you don't mind better mileage. Personally I wish I had two more gears to enjoy.

My neighbor's Camaro with second round rebuild WC T5 with the mighty stock 305 lasted two runs at our local dragstrip. He smoked the second gear synchro... again. If you babyshift the T5 it might last forever, even with colossal amounts of hp. If you built your Z to be 100%, to take some real hp and abuse, you have the propensity to drag launch the car and speed shift, wide open throttle, then go for the menial weight gain and minimal one time clearancing of the trans tunnel for the reliability of the T56. Why create a weak link? Its not a lot of fun to pull these for the Xth time in the Z chassis. I've never regretted spending more on a stronger component or overkill strength on a particular part. It means I can drive 150 miles to the track, bang gears like a madman, then drive home at 80 plus in 6th gear, relaxed rpm, getting 25++ mpg in a roller cammed 383.

Edited by John Scott

Just to put my 2 cents in I love my T56 and in the 280 I had no clearancing to do except for a 1" hole for the reverse light connector, with the 88 300ZX Turbo CLSD which I think is a 370 it suits me fine, with the LTI I smoke the tires easily first and second and can cruise at 75 all day long in sixth and get great gas mileage. It doesn't lug in sixth but can down shift to 5th easily for more torque if needed at 75.

I drive it hard on the street and around town never get out of 4th gear.

• 10 years later...

Hey guys I’m new to this page and I have a few questions, I just bought a 1994 z28 Camaro 6 speed ttop car for a dam steal, but I bought the car without and trans and it had a t56 in it, ideally I would like to find a t56 but impossible to find locally I’m from Orlando Florida, but I do have a t5 trans new I bought a couple years back for my 96 gt mustang, I was wondering if I changed the bell housing and input shaft would the t5 work? Plus if anyone has any lead in a t56 and basically forgot what I said please let me know not trying to break the bank but I’ll be interested thanks guys and all the help is appreciated