HybridZ

Been 3 months since I got my car and it still doesn't run

Hello and thank you in advance for the great help people in this virtual community provide.

I have an early 1974 260Z with stock L26 and SU's paired with a 5speed trans and 40lbs of bondo.

When I first got my car on may 5! it didn't run, it had been that way for 5+ years....

My first problem was the distributor, there was no spark.

I looked for a cheap used one but never found it.

Ended up buying one for a 280Z that a guy told me would work on mine

but it did not...... minus $70

Then I saw an add on craigslist for a 240Z points dizzy and it worked!

My car had spark after one month of collecting more spider webs

Unfortunately it didn't turn on....

Next step was rebuilding the carbs (my dad's friend did it for me)

I then took off the gas tank and emptied it out, upon doing that

I noticed some of the hoses in the fuel pump weren't connected where they belong.

Fixed that and replaced the fuel filter.

Car didn't turn on....

Got a gallon of gas and dipped the gas lines highlighted yellow in the attached picture

and car turned on!

I could now use some help, aside from buying a new fuel pump what can cause my problems?

Gas isn't being fed to the engine.

post-11679-001119600 1281222759_thumb.jpg

post-11679-062030200 1281222845_thumb.jpg

Forgot to add something.

I'm a big car enthusiast and fanatic

but my mechanical skills aren't that developed yet.....

Can anyone send me a picture of their L26 so I can

see where the gas lines are supossed to go?

(The highlighted lines in the picture above)

Thank you again!

I believe that part is the fuel pump filter, which would completely explain why your car isn't working. I know that when I had problems with the car running on an old Buick, I would make sure that I didn't have a dirty fuel filter.

Edited by SmoothZ

Well you have a lot of issues here. First of all, the distributor. The electronic dizzy that didn't work for you should indeed work and perform much better than the stock 240 dizzy, but it needs to be installed in conjunction with an ignition module (either from the 280, or using a GM hei module, which costs about 15 bucks everywhere)and a 280 ignition coil and 280 spark plugs. Here is a link to a very good description of the procedure. http://dimequarterly.tierranet.com/articles/tech_hei.html I suggest you complete this task correctly, so that you will never have to worry about your spark again.

Now for your fuel supply. Pull the fuel line off a carb, put the end in a jar, and crank the motor. It should be squirting fuel.If not, it's time for the bug hunt.

The 73 and 74 cars had a unique set of carbs (smog control)along with a very complex emissions control system, which included that charcoal canister you talked about. These carbs gave all kinds of trouble and through the years they were often replaced with the SU carbs from earlier 240z's. If you have the original carbs on your car, they have a flat top, but the older SU's have a rounded top. I mention this because you say you have SU carbs, and the flat tops are usually not referred to as SU's. (Neither carb is a genuine SU, which was a British carb. But the older carbs were an almost exact copy of SU's while the flat tops have their own uniquely evil pedigree)

Anyhow, the 73 and 74 cars had a unique fuel supply system to go with those nasty smogger carbs. Early cars used a mechanical fuel pump only, and this was a very simple and reliable system. In 73 they added an electric fuel pump back near the gas tank because they were having vapor lock problems with the new carbs. The electrical supply to this pump was cobbed into the electrical system in a pretty sloppy way and it can give lots of trouble too.

before I spend any time giving unneeded advice, please go back to your car and take some good detailed pictures of your carburetors and of the area around the right front of your motor, where the fuel lines pass around on their way to the carbs. I can't tell from the pictures you took whether the mechanical fuel pump is still there.Post them and I'll check back later.

It sounds like you have a fuel line blockage if you can run it from a gas can full of gas. There may be a filter back by the tank as well as an electric fuel pump back there. Make sure all the lines are clean and if there is a filter or a pump back by the tank make sure they are clean too. You have a mechanical fuel pump and that is why your car will run from a gas can. Some electric pumps have screens at the inlet and that could be clogged too. How is your fuel filter that is under the hood? Just a few things to check to get you started. My son's 240z had a few similar issues in the early going. Dirty fuel tank lots of sludge and clogged filters. Good luck, let us know what happens.

Well you have a lot of issues here. First of all, the distributor. The electronic dizzy that didn't work for you should indeed work and perform much better than the stock 240 dizzy, but it needs to be installed in conjunction with an ignition module (either from the 280, or using a GM hei module, which costs about 15 bucks everywhere)and a 280 ignition coil and 280 spark plugs. Here is a link to a very good description of the procedure. http://dimequarterly.tierranet.com/articles/tech_hei.html I suggest you complete this task correctly, so that you will never have to worry about your spark again.

Ghosttanker, thanks a lot for the advice, I was about to get rid of the 280 dizzy, saved the link you gave me and about ready to do it

this week, as far as the mechanical fuel pump, yes i still have it... I can't take any good pictures but I attached cell phone quality ones.

I really appreciate the help.

post-11679-091827900 1281384253_thumb.jpeg

post-11679-092817900 1281384272_thumb.jpeg

It sounds like you have a fuel line blockage if you can run it from a gas can full of gas. There may be a filter back by the tank as well as an electric fuel pump back there. Make sure all the lines are clean and if there is a filter or a pump back by the tank make sure they are clean too. You have a mechanical fuel pump and that is why your car will run from a gas can. Some electric pumps have screens at the inlet and that could be clogged too. How is your fuel filter that is under the hood? Just a few things to check to get you started. My son's 240z had a few similar issues in the early going. Dirty fuel tank lots of sludge and clogged filters. Good luck, let us know what happens.

Thanks mikeyzee, I already replaced the fuel filter in the back and I'm most likely going to replace the electric fuel pump.

Off topic and wrong poster but maybe important to SmoothZ - those blue fusible links in your pictures(if they are actually fusible links and not just regular wire) don't look quite right. From what I've read (atlanticz), blue is rated at 100 amps, which is probably too high for the circuits they are supposed to be protecting.

Well there's good news, and there's good news. The good news is that your previous owner has already converted your car to the earlier SU style cars. And the good news is that with these carbs you can completely eliminate the electric fuel pump in your car. This is good news.

The electric pump is mounted on a bracket under the car on the right side back by the fuel tank. Remove it altogether and just run a single piece of fuel tubing in its place. While you are under the car messing with fuel lines, disconnect the fuel lines from the fuel filter also and blow carb cleaner through the entire fuel line. Put it all back together, making sure that fuel can now freely flow from the tank to the engine compartment. Now disconnect the the fuel line that runs from the mechanical pump to the carbs. Put a piece of clear tubing on the fuel pump, or if you're a real man, use regular fuel tubing. Now suck on the tube. You are going to suck gas all the way from the gas tank and through the fuel pump, thus confirming that you have good fuel flow and that the pump is primed. Now stick the end of this tube in a jar and crank the motor. It should pump gas into the jar. If so, reconnect the fuel line to the carbs and start the car. If not, make sure it's primed and try again. If you can't get the pump to pump gas after you have made sure that you have sucked gas all the way from the tank, through the filter, and through the pump, THEN replace the pump.

Well there's good news, and there's good news. The good news is that your previous owner has already converted your car to the earlier SU style cars. And the good news is that with these carbs you can completely eliminate the electric fuel pump in your car. This is good news.

The electric pump is mounted on a bracket under the car on the right side back by the fuel tank. Remove it altogether and just run a single piece of fuel tubing in its place. While you are under the car messing with fuel lines, disconnect the fuel lines from the fuel filter also and blow carb cleaner through the entire fuel line. Put it all back together, making sure that fuel can now freely flow from the tank to the engine compartment. Now disconnect the the fuel line that runs from the mechanical pump to the carbs. Put a piece of clear tubing on the fuel pump, or if you're a real man, use regular fuel tubing. Now suck on the tube. You are going to suck gas all the way from the gas tank and through the fuel pump, thus confirming that you have good fuel flow and that the pump is primed. Now stick the end of this tube in a jar and crank the motor. It should pump gas into the jar. If so, reconnect the fuel line to the carbs and start the car. If not, make sure it's primed and try again. If you can't get the pump to pump gas after you have made sure that you have sucked gas all the way from the tank, through the filter, and through the pump, THEN replace the pump.

That's good news, I read somewhere that all the emission control in the 260z lowered the HP, (thanks previous owner)

I actually got the car running today, took off the pump and tested it with a battery and wire, it worked perfectly fine!

I think the ground wasn't connected right or something to do with the wiring, car ran smooth and loud due to a cut exhaust...

But with my luck, the fan was scrapping against the radiator I assume.

I revved the engine and it chipped the radiator and water squirted everywhere.

Another "to do" on the "to do list"

I'm taking it to Tijuana :) twenty bucks is going to get me a welded and cleaned radiator.

To do list:

1. Fix radiator

2. Fix electric problem (nothing works! gages, speedometer, lights, brake lights etc. etc.)

3. Purchase cheap exhaust system with a twice pipe

4. Get car insurance, liability all the way

Well there's good news, and there's good news. The good news is that your previous owner has already converted your car to the earlier SU style cars. And the good news is that with these carbs you can completely eliminate the electric fuel pump in your car. through the pump, THEN replace

Will leaving the rear fuel pump on matter at all?

Improve performance?

Congrats on getting it running!!!! The main reason they put the rear fuel pump in was to prevent vapor lock and hot start issues from fuel vaporizing in the lines. Depends on how you are going to use the car I guess. It will run without it though just fine on the mechanical pump but may have issues listed above.

Edited by MikeyZee