HybridZ

Energy rack & pinion bushings

I ordered the Energy master poly bushing set from eBay a while back, and have slowly been installing each of them piece by piece. I've noticed along the way that they are a bit over sized from the OEM bushings, alot more dense, and they are a pretty tight fit. It's been a pain in the @$$ on the ones I've installed, but never as bad as the one's for the rack and pinion. They are IMPOSSIBLE. It's like you need a tool to compress them into the rack. They are almost 1/8 inch too wide on each side to be able to slide in. I have no clue as to how to get them to fit. Has anyone experienced this problem?! I could grind on them to get them to fit, but that just doesn't seem like a correct solution.

Thanks!

I ordered the Energy master poly bushing set from eBay a while back, and have slowly been installing each of them piece by piece. I've noticed along the way that they are a bit over sized from the OEM bushings, alot more dense, and they are a pretty tight fit. It's been a pain in the @$$ on the ones I've installed, but never as bad as the one's for the rack and pinion. They are IMPOSSIBLE. It's like you need a tool to compress them into the rack. They are almost 1/8 inch too wide on each side to be able to slide in. I have no clue as to how to get them to fit. Has anyone experienced this problem?! I could grind on them to get them to fit, but that just doesn't seem like a correct solution.

Thanks!

I had to hammer mine on, it sounds like yours are pretty bad, make sure your putting them on right and if it still doesn't work you may need to call the company about it.

Got to be the biggest PITA! that I have done in a while. When I put them in I actually had to soak them in wd40 then work them and stretch them tight to get them in. Then bolt it down and take it back off to double check they were on straight. It Wasn't fun.

I believe the 280Z rack bushings are wider, so if you end up with those and you're trying to install them on a 240Z rack, you're going to have a hell of a time.

The steering rack bushing part number for the 240Z is 7.10101

The part number for the 260Z/280Z is 7.10102

It's possible that they don't always put the right rack bushing in the master kit.

Don't forget that for the control arm bushings, you have to remove the metal shell that's pressed into the control arm, otherwise the poly bushings will be way too tight.

Nigel

'73 240ZT

When replacing the bushings on my 240 rack, I loosened the engine bolts and jacked the engine up a quarter or so. That gave me just enough room to get them in. That was after greasing, beating, cursing, and scratching my head awhile!