HybridZ

280Z hood vent paint removal

deja

I am getting ready to paint my hood. Since it has been previously painted I am stripping it to cut dome on paint thickness. I would also like to strip the stock 280Z hood vents. This would be next to impossible to sand, so what paint striper would be safe to use on these plastic parts?

Using a scotch pad would be tough because of the louvers, I don't want to break one of those. Maybe I can take it apart. Soda blasting would probably work if I knew someone that had one.

Bumper stripper? A Google search came up with SEM 77713. I'll see if I can find some.

Edited by deja

Using a scotch pad would be tough because of the louvers, I don't want to break one of those. Maybe I can take it apart. Soda blasting would probably work if I knew someone that had one.

Bumper stripper? A Google search came up with SEM 77713. I'll see if I can find some.

Ernie has a blast cabinet. Not sure what kind of media he has, though.

The problem with home blasting is you need a big ass compressor to keep up with the blaster. I have a pretty good size one, 3.5 HP and a 60 gallon tank, but wonder if it would work.

Harbor frieght sells a cheapish soda blaster doodad. I am thinking of going that route for small parts or even my hood.

I don't know Ernie well enough to ask him that. I have contacted Mike about powder coating some things, wonder if he could strip these with his setup.

Ernie has a blast cabinet. Not sure what kind of media he has, though.