HybridZ

Steering rack mounting rubbers - poor fit?

I'm just trying to refit the steering rack ('72, 240Z RHD) with rubbers I recently purchased. When I removed the rack I noticed the rubber (red) on the larger mount was not making a complete circle around rack. I now find that the new rubber (black) is even smaller. I appreciate that it will spread somewhat when I actually clamp it but it will still be some way short of completely encircling the rack. What's the go here? Were there different racks for 240s & 260s?

post-1266-040496800 1284261757_thumb.jpg

post-1266-079263500 1284261775_thumb.jpg

post-1266-095096100 1284261793_thumb.jpg

Edited by Boy from Oz

If there's a press fit seal for the pinion shaft where it sticks out of the rack, then it's a 240Z rack. If there's a plate with two retaining bolts holding a bearing in, then it's a 280. The pictures don't give a very clear shot, but it looks to me like a 240 rack. 280 racks use wider bushings.

Nigel

'73 240ZT

If there's a press fit seal for the pinion shaft where it sticks out of the rack, then it's a 240Z rack. If there's a plate with two retaining bolts holding a bearing in, then it's a 280. ...

Nigel - From what you state it looks like a 240Z rack and further, the likelihood of a 280Z rack is remote as no 280Zs were sold in this country. The two dimensions on the mount are approx 43mm and 56mm, if anyone can confirm this with a rack they have off the car then it will suggest the new rubbers are duds as were the one fitted when I got the car 5 years ago - very strange!

post-1266-008478800 1284272678_thumb.jpg

post-1266-039979000 1284272693_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I believe the 280 rack was made of iron. You have a 240 rack.

Mongo

Correct; just did this swap this past weekend. The 240Z rack bushings are tight and will have a considerable 'gap' before you cinch everything down and they get squeezed closed. I also took the 'muffler clamp' stop thingy off. ;)

From what I have seen, it seems that alot of aftermarket part companies skimp on R&D and end up manufacturing parts that don't fit correctly. My fix for the MSA urethane steering rack bushings was to carefully remove some of the material until they dropped in correctly. The picture below is a representation of a cross-sectional view of a steering rack bushing. I removed material around the bushing with a razor blade until the bushing dropped in correctly. The black arrows show where the material was removed. It worked out very well for me. You don't need to remove much, so you can remove a little at a time until it barely fits correctly. Let me know if there are any questions.

gallery_252_11_8958.jpg

Edited by Hybrid240z

Sounds good. Let me know how this works out for you. Maybe this thread can be made into a sticky once you show that it worked for you so others will have a fix for this problem.

Keep in mind that I did not have to remove a lot of material, just enough for it to fit. The problem is that the corners of the bushing are square and the contour of the steering rack piece are more round. That is why it doesn't seat properly. Removing the corners fixes that.