HybridZ

Coolant into overflow tank on overhauled engine?

Robert

I recently overhauled my engine. Metal head gasket, flat cyl head. But when Im driving, and especially under boost, the coolant overflows into the overflow tank! Is there any "typical" reason for this, except the obvious head gasket or cyl head?

L24E

T4 Turbo 23PSI boost

HKS head gasket

HKS SR20det high flow 63C thermostat

No overheating, except when the water goes low (takes about 30miles with some fun road driving)

Any good ideas? This was one of the reasons I overhauled, the cyl head is swapped for one that I know works, and Its straight.

Does it do this every time you run the engine or just every now and then?

I had an issue where the secondary seal on the pressure cap had a slight leak - the system is supposed to be able to allow some fluid to escape to the overflow tank as the coolant expands and the pressure cap regulates the pressure. When the system cools it's also supposed to suck the overflow fluid back in as the coolant in the system contacts. The secondary seal leak was allowing the fluid to escape just fine, but made it impossible for it to get sucked back in. So eventually my coolant level would go low and the tank would overflow. A bit of hylomar around the outer sealing surface for the pressure cap solved this problem.