HybridZ

those headlight kits on ebay...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm sure if you guys have done some general Z searches on ebay you know what I'm talking about..

h4/hid lights

I've wanted to upgrade to halogen/hid lights for a while now. Since those round bulbs are SO "out there" on Z's I think it makes for major appeal. Has anyone on this forum purchased/installed any of these cheap "kits" from ebay or elsewhere?.. opinions?

someone posted these a little while ago, I like the look but I believe they sell for $70+

C7007.jpg

I'm not expecting new euro-halogen quality (but damn.. those audi's look great at night!), just something a little brighter and bluer in tint. Anyone got any ideas? :confused:

-980mak rockon.gif

Guest KraZ4spd

Yes, I posted that pic. I like those because they are the 'conversion'. The ones on E-Bay have an extra light in it, and it is NOT directional. The extra light is on the same side on both bulbs. I would go for those to if it weren't for that.

I got a set of headlights from ebay for something like $45. They are a plastic housing with a removable bulb and dust seal. They came with blue xenon bulbs.

This would be a great upgrade IF and ONLY IF you get good bulbs. I got **** bulbs that, while they look nice and are fairly bright, only seem to project light forward. While cornering at night, you can't see where you're going because the beam is focused towards the front of the car instead of spreading out to the sides, as well. I may upgrade to some good bulbs or I may just go back to yellow glass sealed headlights.

Guest 400 ci 280z

while we are talking about lights i was going to get comments on something. i am going to upgrade my lights and was thinking about doing something like the early gt500. i was going to have the stck position and then put 2 lights in the center of the grille. instead of haveing them in front though i was going to put them behind it. what do you guys think?

Guest Anonymous

My alternative (since now the general opinion is that the ones on ebay are.. crap :rolleyes: ) would be some PIAA xenon whites (~$60), and probably some hella driving/fog lights below to even things out and just cast a bit more anti-shadow :D

I drive about 15 extra miles everyday through the Sticks because I live out of town a bit. There have been times that I have definitely fell short of my ability to see for a good 400 ft or less. Plus, I can't really compete in a "brights" war when various somebody's refuse to turn theirs off emo.gif .. I know, two wrongs don't make a right, but I don't like getting malebitchslap.gif into having to slow down and shelter my eyes because some guy in his new SUV wants to blind people. To make a long story short, I just want to have some more driveable light, and sport a little better look.. aren't we all?

Nothing radical in order, although I like some of the conversions I've seen you guys do. Anyway if any of you know a good place to find piaa.. or other decent h4 xenon bulbs and lenses/ hella lights (cheaper=better ;) ).. point me to 'em!

Appreciated..

-980mak rockon.gif

• 4 months later...

I see these guru's suggesting that you test the voltage at the lights.... is that while the car is running, or not? Is it supposed to be 12 volts?

Also, from what I've seen so far... is it accurate to replace the wiring before going with new/more powerful bulbs?

If so, what EXACTLY do I need to get and where do I get it? Does Autozone, Discount Auto, ect. have it? Does Walmart?

Sometimes people post these suggestions in terms that are rather foreign to someone with no exposure to the subject matter.

:confused:

So... I humbly ask that you spell it out like "headlight brightening troubleshooting for dummies" would. :D

Car running check the voltage at the battery or alternator and then at the headlight bulb. I'll bet that you see SEVERAL volts difference between the two. IF you upgrade the bulbs to higher wattage units and don't upgrade your wiring with relays you WILL overheat your switch eventually and possibly fry your wiring. This is what happens when added laod is placed on wiring that has high resistance. I wrote an article on doing this work using a Painless Wiring harness awhile back but it can also be done with your ownwire and some Hella relays - use quality relays!!!

In short - you want your bulbs to get voltage right from the battery via a relay triggered by the stock wiring. It's not super hard to do but the difference in thelighting has to be seen to be believed! I picked up somehting like 4-5volts at my bulbs doing this with Hella sealed beams, what a difference!

Ok... when you say "switch", is that the actual switch on the steering column that you turn the lights on with from inside the car?

And what is a relay? What does it do? Do you basically bypass the stock wiring by doing the described above? How many wires are we talking? Two for each side...positive and negative?

How do you know what wires to tap into in the existing wiring harness?

Guest fly yellow

i got the new korean remake of the good ol' marchalle z beam and some 100/130 narva bulbs

heck the bulds cost as much as the housings but they should be great just got the car back friday from the body shop so it has to go from painted shell to finished product in a week because friday i have to leave to go off to college but got dash and heater and all the foolishness in today so i should get it done on time

will post picks when i get a chance mom on vacation with digital camera

Guest greimann

Folks, don't forget that the true factory HID headlamps are a completely different technology than incadescent bulbs that are currently on our cars or offered as aftemarket knockoffs as xenon, hiper-white or what have you. True HID lamps have a transformer that creates 20,000 volts across the electrodes and is essentially an arc light. No aftermarket replacement bulb can match that. nono.gif

http://www.apmotornews.com/AP_Motor_News_Xenon_Headlamps/body_ap_motor_news_xenon_headlamps.html

I agree with griemann. I installed a set of MSA autopal kit. The bulbs do shine brighter than the sealed beam type but not true hid. One thing I defenitely recommend is installing a relay for the headlights otherwise the datsun headlight switch will get hot and possibly damaged. I also highly recommend the PIAA brand super white h4's as they are the closest to hid as I've bought.

Guest fly yellow

i had these same bulbs 100/130 in my old z just with hella lenses and it was far brighter than anything else on the road

also illegal bulbs but gotta see at night so i will take the risk

• 7 years later...

I bought just basic 7" round h4 headlight housing off ebay for 30 bucks (also halo's but you can tell the halo's are cheap so they are never used) and then just went and bout a basic jlm h4 bixenon kit. i have high and low beams even thou you cant see much of a difference but the low beam is very bright and ive seen a MAJOR differene in lighting. everything combined with shipping was less than 100 dollars.

I bought just basic 7" round h4 headlight housing off ebay for 30 bucks (also halo's but you can tell the halo's are cheap so they are never used) and then just went and bout a basic jlm h4 bixenon kit. i have high and low beams even thou you cant see much of a difference but the low beam is very bright and ive seen a MAJOR differene in lighting. everything combined with shipping was less than 100 dollars.

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: Alright some that uses the search function.

Could you please post a few pictures of your install.

Edited by logan1