HybridZ

1979 280ZX

TheThunder

So...

I am looking forward to buying this 79 ZX sometime around 3pm today. They claimed the car was running before they parked it for 8 months? IDK. I will head over today with a battery and see if it will start. Unfortunately I do not have pictures to provide at this time. They also plan to sell it for very low so I might be able to scoop it up for 150-200.

ZX PROS

Lower center of gravity than its predecessor (240z)

Near 50/50 weight distribution

Power options (steering, windows, locks, etc)

High Speed Stability

Better MPGs

Rear disc brakes

ZX CONS

Much heavier than (240z)

Automatic

Semi-trailing Rear Arms

Looks like the pros outweigh the cons, though the original 240z has a classy ageless look, I think the ZX looks just as great, having a more sleek bodystyle and a longer more sexy hatch/fastback then the 240z.

QUESTIONS

1. Can I build a NA L28DE to redline at 10,000 RPMs?

2. Are 3.1/3.2 stroker kits still available? Cost?

3. Do I need major modification/fab to convert the semi-trailing arms in the rear to become independant suspensions?

4. What manual transmissions can I mate to the L28DE?

5. What are common problems with the ZX?

6. Stay F.I. or should I downgrade to triple carbs? Mikunis?

7. Since this car is old enough, should I run open headers? What do I need to tune to compensate for the loss of back pressure?

8. How much maintenance is there to upkeep a L28, what are the costs for replacement parts?

9. I like doing custom fiberglass, hows a tastefully fitting fiberglass whaletail and ZG style wide fender flares sound?

10. Can the Semi-trailing Rear Arms be fitted to handle just as well as independant suspensions if not better?

And... ill figure some more questions out.

Are there any Z owners in the Washington State area?

Eitherway, enlighten me in the ways of Z please :]

Edited by TheThunder

Save yourself the time and money and buy a 82-83 Turbo ZX. The 79's had soft suspension and the auto's suck for high horse power applications. Sounds like you have a whole lot of searching to do. All of the imformation you are looking for has been posted here on HBZ. The SEARCH button will be your best friend here, use that first, then start asking the hard questions for the pros to answer.

As for the 10,000 rpm thing......get a rotary if RPM's are your goal, and in your budget.

P.S. - The engine is a L28E, not DE.

Yes, do a lot of searching and reading, at least on this site. You will learn all you need to learn.

e.g.

Can the Semi-trailing Rear Arms be fitted to handle just as well as independant suspensions if not better?

This confuses me since semi-trailing arms are part of the ZX's independent suspension.

And I'm not sure what an L28DE is unless you're talking about Bryan Blake's car.

Believe me, you have much reading to do. Luckily you've found a great resource for it. ;)

Ah yes, I forgot the L28 is only a single, would be interesting to see a dohc.

I picked the 79 ZX because it has many luxury options I want to use as a platform because it won't be a pure race car. As for the 82-83 ZXT I think they have less options, being a high performance trim.

Your saying no one has attempted to build a 10,000 revving Z? I want to hit 10k, but 9k+ would be great. I want to build a N/A engine because I want to do more than drive in a straight line, on the plus side turbos do add more wear and tear than a N/A engine, and I don't want more wear and tear than I have to for a daily driver.

Soft suspension won't be a problem, they can always been changed.

As for the semi-trailing rear arms, I figured they weren't independant. I need to read more about those.

TY

Ah yes, I forgot the L28 is only a single, would be interesting to see a dohc.

I picked the 79 ZX because it has many luxury options I want to use as a platform because it won't be a pure race car. As for the 82-83 ZXT I think they have less options, being a high performance trim.

Your saying no one has attempted to build a 10,000 revving Z? I want to hit 10k, but 9k+ would be great. I want to build a N/A engine because I want to do more than drive in a straight line, on the plus side turbos do add more wear and tear than a N/A engine, and I don't want more wear and tear than I have to for a daily driver.

People have made high revving L motors, but it takes a lot of time, knowledge and money for it to happen. You will probably have to build the motor such that it will not be very street friendly. And as far as turbo motors and streight lines.....F1 motors were turbocharged for quite some time.

And the Turbo model cars did come fully loaded, probably more so than the N/A cars.

SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH

Well, seeing how the guy doesn't even have the key, and needs to get one made. I might not even buy this one unless I can scoop it up for 100-150 and use it for parts or shell.

Theres a local buick regal swapped with a chev 350 and turbo350 I can get for 400-500, maybe I can swap even though I prefer original engines.

Time will tell, I might just have to drive 300 miles to seattle to find a good running z

ZX PROS

Near 50/50 weight distributionso does a s30

Power options (steering, windows, locks, etc) the 79 ZX had roll op windows and most had non power steering

High Speed Stability

Better MPGs [/b] a 240 in good tuned 240 the run the same as a good tuned 280

Rear disc brakes

ZX CONS

Much heavier than (240z)a 79 is lighter than anything after 74

Automaticget a standard transmission

Semi-trailing Rear Armsso why is that con? ever heard of an M3

ZX PROS

Near 50/50 weight distributionso does a s30

Power options (steering, windows, locks, etc) the 79 ZX had roll op windows and most had non power steering

High Speed Stability

Better MPGs [/b] a 240 in good tuned 240 the run the same as a good tuned 280

Rear disc brakes

ZX CONS

Much heavier than (240z)a 79 is lighter than anything after 74

Automaticget a standard transmission

Semi-trailing Rear Armsso why is that con? ever heard of an M3

My 1979 280zx has power windows and power steering, despite the belt I haven't hooked up >.>

then it was swapped out or optioned....most all 79s were "stripped" hardtops....also if you SEARCH and use your brain you will figure out why a 240z is lighter than a 280z or 280zx....maybe look at the numbers for a huge hint.

When are we going to start shedding these threads and making people search or hell if its their first or up to 5 posts lol they should be checked by a mod before posting...it seriously gets old.

I mean hell we dont even have pics of the car....alot of cars sound good for $150 but if its rusted out or has a torn up subframe its kind of pointless now isnt it. Please go buy that other car...it sounds like a much better idea, anyone can mess with a 350, these cars need to be researched before bought or they are all gonna end up "projects, parted out, or crushed".

• 2 weeks later...

My car was manufactured March of 1979 and it came with: power windows, power brakes, power mirrors, power steering, ac-including the little fan that blows air on the intake manifold, power antenna, the rear window wiper and defrost, map lights, glove box lights and all the other lights... some 79's did come loaded. Works for me. :)