HybridZ

Identify this Gear LSD

z-ya

We recently acquired a bunch of S30 parts from what was left of Bob Sharp Racing.

Opened this box:

P9260046.jpg

And found this:

P9260048.jpg

P9260050.jpg

P9260051.jpg

P9260052.jpg

P9260047.jpg

Obviously it is a gear LSD for an R180. Standard R180 bolt in companion flanges have the correct spline count. And you can see that it is designed for bolt in flanges.

Any ideas? Worth using in a street application?

Thanks,

Pete

Appears to be similar to OE 87-89 R200 CLSD internals. 4 pinion spider gears and the plates which clutches ride on is visually nearly identical. I have a set of new oem R200 side plates which I can provide pics of for a comparison. Would be perfectly suited to a street application. when building more or less clutches can be added to suit the "personality" of your diff. I'm sure you already knew that though...

BTW what makes you think that they were intended for a bolt-in axle flanges?

Edit: original Bob Sharp address is right down the street from me, heh.

Edited by Gregmatic

The threaded buttons in the side gears indicate that it is for bolt in axles.

Greg is right, that is a CLSD less the C's. I would suggest that if you can find someone with an R180 CLSD and can get measurements, you should be able to have clutch plates and disks laser cut just like Gary Savage is doing for the R200s, and then you could make it function. I would think that it would be a lot cheaper than buying a new diff or Coffey's adapters to make the Subaru diff work.

This page will help a lot if you're not familiar: http://www.gordon-glasgow.org/lsd1.asp

That's what I was wondering. I thought it was a gear LSD that might work in an open carrier. But if you guys think it's the internals to a CLSD, you're probably right. In the same box there are three small boxes of R180 CLSD plates.

That is the same internals that my NISMO R-200 CLSD has. If you don't find a case then I might buy it as spares.

NISMOLSDsideandspiders.jpg

R200NISMOnumbers2.jpg

This is HALF of the clutches in my unit. You should have a total of 12 disks(driven and drive). There is also an end spacer and shim for each side gear.

NISMOLSDhalfstack3.jpg

Edited by bjhines