HybridZ

Z31 diff qustion

GOTHALOSISM

I have been searching and reading for about an hour now and my head is starting to spin with reading.

It should be a simple question, I went to the JY and found a 87 turbo (3/87) so no lsd. I grabbed the halfshafts only to find out I can not use them in my Zed with out adapters. Is it possible to just pull the rear diff and swap it directly into mine (as in bolt-in)?

If not I'll just try selling the halfshafts instead.

Oh by the way my Zed is a 76 with the R200.

I have been searching and reading for about an hour now and my head is starting to spin with reading.

It should be a simple question, I went to the JY and found a 87 turbo (3/87) so no lsd. I grabbed the halfshafts only to find out I can not use them in my Zed with out adapters. Is it possible to just pull the rear diff and swap it directly into mine (as in bolt-in)?

If not I'll just try selling the halfshafts instead.

Oh by the way my Zed is a 76 with the R200.

I have a 12mm R200 from an '85 Turbo car in my 240. Swapped in using '78 R200 stub shafts, so the short answer is yes.

hmmm ok, i would like to use the turbo half shafts, not the stub shafts.

Wait, you wanna pull your open R-200 diff and replace it with another open R-200 diff? Why don't you just pull one of the input stubs and count the splines. If it is 29 like the z31 turbo cv shafts, then I don't see why you couldn't just plug them in.

I don't know much about the s30's and 130's but I'm pretty sure the reason you need adapters to use the z31 cv shafts is because they don't bolt up to the wheel side, not the diff side. IF this is the case, then swapping differentials will do absolutely nothing for you unless you are possibly looking for a different gear ratio.

Agreed. Just swap the CV's unless you want the ratio from the turbo. I know the LSD turbos are 3.70 I would guess yours is also. Pull the cover and it will have a ring:pinion tooth count. Would be 37:10 for 3.70s. Stock you should have 3.54's.

You will need companion flange adapters to bolt up the CVs on the wheel end as stated. Two options:

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=32_53&products_id=56

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=32_53&products_id=46