HybridZ

Air escaping 240z

This morning I turned on my car and i heard a loud noise like air escaping,So i thought it was my intake manifold gasket replaced it,Same noise.Thought it could have been a loose hose or vacuum but there all attached,all new really dont know what eles to check,replaced the gasket at the end of the headers,could my intake manifold be cracked.It doesnt get louder as i give it gas its pretty consistent if i give it gas or not any ideas help please

Air shouldn't be escaping from your intake manifold, since it is usually at a vacuum relative to atmospheric pressure. What you are most likely hearing is a vacuum leak. My recommendation is to spray various areas with carb cleaner. If the engine accelerates when you spray, you have found a vacuum leak at the location you are spraying.

Spray the suspect areas with a mist of water from a sprayer like for houseplants. If the noise changes or the engine speed changes you found your prospective leak.

Is this an EFI car with CAI? Lots of times the intake noise is appreciably higher with that modification than when going through the stock breather box. Not a lot of specifics, so it's all guessing! Sorry.

Okay sorry well it has flat top carbs,ive been spraying with carb cleaner and the idle doesnt seem to change from the car.Ive used a good amount on the engine on each hose and nothing seems to be happening its a loud leak to so im not sure what it could be :( help please

Pull off the hose from your brake booster and plug it with your thumb. See if the noise goes away. If it does then it's your brake booster. Cheaper to replace than to fix. Consider going with a ZX booster/MC. that way you won't have to deal with the reaction disk. There's not too many places you can have a vaccuum leak loud enough to hear it. Another way to find it is to get some tubing and hold one end to your ear while listening to other points on your engine. Watch the fan though. My money is on the Brake booster

Phar

Where in U.P. is ye, Norwich?

"Power Balance Test"? Google is thy friend O.P.: "Cylinder Power Balance Test"

This is not a 'Z Specific' test, this is a basic automotive test and not really the forte of this forum.

Edited by Tony D