HybridZ

78 Datsun 280z ------> 5.3 build

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What gearing is your diff. You have an open diff. right? How soon before you swap out for the ford?

3.54, welded.

I'm collecting parts as we speak. Hopefully within the next month I'll be working on getting it swapped in.

Hey Sunny

How did you get the brackets off that are attatched to the fenders in the engine bay? Im trying to go for a smooth look.

Did you wedge a metal spatula in between the fender and the bracket to pry em apart??

Hey Sunny

How did you get the brackets off that are attatched to the fenders in the engine bay? Im trying to go for a smooth look.

Did you wedge a metal spatula in between the fender and the bracket to pry em apart??

hahahahahhaa something like that

Buff them down to metal so you can see what you're working with. Smack the center of the spot welds with a center punch. Drill out the spot welds SLOWLY and CAREFULLY. I've found ~3/8" bit works good. The sharper the better. Then take a chisel and hammer it between bracket and fender, or pry with a screw driver. You'll get the hang of it, but go slow because that sheet metal is paper thin. Then you'll grind / sand down everything, fill holes, grind, fill, grind, fill, grind, bondo, sand, bondo, sand, bondo, sand, prime, sand, bondo, sand, prime, sand, paint, sand, paint sand, paint sand, paint.

Have fun!

Edited by SUNNY Z

My new screen saver! Love the wrap on those slicks and how light the front end looks. Don't like the squat so much especially considering you static camber. Must have a ton of torque to get all that transfer. What was your mph on that 11.0 1/4-mile pass? Your friend is an awesome photographer to catch that shot when all that magic is happening. I went straight enough this week to start dropping air pressure. What are your spring and shock settings-i wanna copy? Boss.

Wait. If you are already at 11 in the 1/4, doesn't NHRA require solid rear axle once you're down in the 10 or somewhere therabouts.

"REAR END

Aftermarket axles and axle-retention device mandatory on any car

running 10.99 (*6.99) or quicker or any car with locked differential.

Cars running 10.99 (*6.99) or quicker that weigh more than 2,000

pounds with independent rear suspension without upper and lower

(both) control arms must replace swing axle differential with

conventional differential housing assembly. (Example: 1963-1982

Corvette). Cars with independent rear suspension using upper and

lower (both) control arms may retain swing axle assembly

regardless of weight or e.t. Must have 360-degree, minimum

1-inch-wide by 1/4-inch-thick"

Hmmmm. I wonder how jnjdragracing and 1QUICKZ get around this rule? I wonder what it would take (for anybody in my neck of the woods) to break out a rule book and run somebody off? I can't remember the last time I saw somebody rockin' a helmet.

Are you serious? No helmet? They even SNELL check ours here.

Edit:

nvm, thought about it. Its just natural selection. :lol:

Edited by SUNNY Z

That was a good one!!! I'm shopping for a helmet now (hope I get the right Snell - 2005 or later right?). Going to new track this Sunday, I hope they are not too uptight.

You know: Bubba doesn't like to mess up his mullet. But everybody wears a firesuit jacket. I'm looking for a retro pit crew jacket from the 60s.

Edited by RebekahsZ

• 4 months later...

In an effort to get rid of the 5/6 gear vibration i've been having, I tore the tranny down today.

Not sure if its a good thing, but I had it out of the car and on the bench within 30 minutes, 

and here in another hour.

2013-03-03_15-18-48_2_zps7634b63b.jpg

Going to send the main shaft to texas drivetrain performance to have them re-machine my main shaft where the 5/6 driven gear rides. 

It is supposed to be an interference fit, but mine comes off by hand.  This is supposed to be the source of the pulsing vibration in 5/6 gear that i've been having.

For more details, see this thread on ls1tech ---------->   http://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/1360312-project-fix-damn-5th-6th-gear-high-speed-vibration.html

That's incredible!  Hope your fingers didn't stick to the metal in the cold.  I would never get that back together correctly.

Haha I wear gloves! I had a little propane heater going most of the day. It keeps it about 50 in there (30's ext.). 

Its not that bad. This is about the third time i've had one apart, so its getting easier. 

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to upgrade to an LS3 oil pan to gain some ground clearance, and improved baffling. While I was cleaning the surfaces to install, I noticed that when I put the front cover on the last time (3 years ago) i didn't get it aligned correctly, and there would be uneven torque on the oil pan. SO rather than risk anything with my brand new oil pan, I decided to do the RIGHT thing and re-align the front cover. I started draining the radiator tonight, and will take off the water pump tomorrow. hopefully be able to loosen the front cover and tap it down to where it should be.

AGH.

On a lighter note, the main shaft for the trans is at the machine shop and should be back soon.

The driveshaft and axles are ordered, and I would expect them in the next week or so.

Busy busy!

Edited by SUNNY Z