HybridZ

Question to those diy guys about suspension /bushing. I'm in the middle on mine.

Okay so I finally decided to do my suspension on my early 74 260z.

I'm starting with the front and ran into a bit of a problem or well more like double checking questions.

The condition of my suspension is well...shot. All of them. The bushings are all cracked to the max the ball joint has no more cover etc. I'm assuming it was all originals.

Anyways so my first.

1. I did not know that the strut had a bearing. Can I repack this bearing with wheel bearing grease? It seems to ride/glide fine when I put my weight on it and spin it. It still has grease on it and it seems to be in good condition.

2. My bump stop is gone which way do bump stop go? It's a cone shape bumpstop. And is there a special way to attach it?

3. I done some reading on this topic but wanted more detail. Tension rod poly bushing. So from what I gather I can use full poly as long as I drill hole in the back bushing(back meaning the one further from the front tires) but is there a specific hole size and hole amount I should drill?

I understand that I can use rubber but I rather use what I got since I still got plenty to buy.

4. I think I understand this correctly. I can put the bolt through control arm bushing during install bu only torque it down when the weight is on the suspension correct? And torque to 40lbs.

I think that's it for now.

Thanks for any reply

1) yes

2) The thick section goes towards the top. It is just wedged up in spring seat.

3) Not sure on this one. I've gone full urethane before, no modification here and had no problem. For my next install I plan to use a stock bushing on the back side.

4) That's correct.

Thanks alot.

I forgot to ask another question. Since my steering knuckle/ball joint froze up and the bushings where shot and. Full of debris I will be replacing it. But my smart ass forgot to mark the steering knuckle before removal on the adjuster nut.

How do I align this up? Do I need to take it to get this part aligned? Or can I do it myself?

If you are talking about the tie rod ends, which I think you are, you probably want to take it to get put on an alignment rack. Did you check the ball joint at the bottom of the strut too? You might want to replace both at the same time. If you haven't already, download the FSM which you can find here:

http://www.xenons30.com/reference.html

It might help you with a lot of those issues.

Just to let you know, since you are kind of new still, you probably don't want to post too many of these basic troubleshooting type questions here, the forum is designed to be more of an advanced site to help people collaborate on more advanced issues/modifications.

If you are talking about the tie rod ends, which I think you are, you probably want to take it to get put on an alignment rack. Did you check the ball joint at the bottom of the strut too? You might want to replace both at the same time. If you haven't already, download the FSM which you can find here:

http://www.xenons30.com/reference.html

It might help you with a lot of those issues.

Just to let you know, since you are kind of new still, you probably don't want to post too many of these basic troubleshooting type questions here, the forum is designed to be more of an advanced site to help people collaborate on more advanced issues/modifications.

thanks and yes all the bushing and ball joints will be replaced.

And curious where can I post these questions? I have done research before posting so I thought it might be valid.

And side question anyone taken there front hub to a machine shop and get a 5x114.3 bolt pattern? It's seems that all is needed is to drill a 5 lug pattern and buy new studs and you can use an 5 bolt wheels.

For the basic stuff, if you can't find it on here try one of the other Z sites, like zcar.com or classiczcars.com. For the 5 lug question, try doing a search with google of the site, you might have better luck.

All of your questions have been answered before, it's just a matter of finding them :)

For the basic stuff, if you can't find it on here try one of the other Z sites, like zcar.com or classiczcars.com. For the 5 lug question, try doing a search with google of the site, you might have better luck.

All of your questions have been answered before, it's just a matter of finding them :)

Okay thanks. Ya Im not a member of the other site. I guess I'll join and see what info they have.

And I must have missed the 5 lug swap. But I don't think I'm looking for a swap since I'm just curious is you can just drill the bolt pattern on the hub and bolt the wheels you want.

I found the brake upgrades as well as the cobra 5 lug conversion but did not see any about just getting the bolt pattern drilled out.

Also I did not find one about how big a hole to drill or how many to drill on the poly bushing. People simple mentioned drilling holes on the back bushing.

Regarding the comments on searching and posting basic mechanical questions...

HybridZ is not a Cars 101 beginner site. This place was started before this century to help other S30 aficionados with extreme performance modifications. We're still trying hard to keep the site an advanced performance site. Basic automotive repair (bushing replacement, ball joint replacement, etc.) has been discussed here in the last 10+ years so please search.