HybridZ

LS/T56/240z Project Mentor Wanted

Bump for videos.

For some reason on my computer the link is opening two video files simultaneously, so click one off on your task bar or you won't be able to hear (echo). The psi that you hear me talking about is not boost, rather it is tire pressure. These slicks at 15 psi were all over the road on second half of track; 20 psi straightened things out. Area for improvement: driver courage to hold pedal down when car is drifting in the lane.

Edited by RebekahsZ

You should scan and post your timeslips BTW, id like to see how bad you were raping the competitors. Awesome car... What did that dude in the C5 yell to you before your 4th run?

I just noticed you were in Bama, Do you ever get out to the huntsville area? my Grandparents live over there (which is bitchen, because space camp)

There was no competition!

Honestly, I got there so late due to heavy surgery schedule, being on-call for the hospital, wife being non-negotiable on supper attendance, and a jazz rehearsal, that I just bearly got the car warmed up and it was time to go home (poor attendance made the track owner close at 10:30 instead of the usual midnight. The C5 presumed that I was going slow, then walking away from him just to make fun of him. He was acusing me of "messin' with him" when really, I was having a hard time keeping the car in my lane and off the wall (there is a limit to how low bias ply slicks should be inflated). I think he expected some close racing, but the more used to the tires I got and the more confidence I got with a little drift as I went down the track, the uglier it got for the old boy. I think the car can go a lot faster with practice. I was not dropping the clutch, rather leaving the line like I leave a stop sign on my daily drive. It was a total blast. My timeslips look like crap..I was terrible at the light, etc. I'll start working on it, then post a decent timeslip when I can. I might be able to test and tune next Sunday after church at a different, nicer track.

I live 1.5 hours from Huntsville in Florence. You should come for a visit. It is an easy drive or I'd come to Huntsville to hang with you.

Having trouble keeping car straight at dragstrip (have only been the one time). Have PM'd several of our forum drag racers and have done a bunch of internet searching and research (for those of us who pre-date the internet: isn't this incredible!). The high speed phenomenon is called "sway" and it is associated with bias ply drag slicks. I've always wondered what people meant when they said that drag radials "handle" better than slicks. Well, now I know. Basically, sway is when the car yaws back and forth at high speeds. For us helicopter pilots, it is like when you are trying to hover in high winds and the tail keeps wagging and you are kicking your pedals like crazy. jnjdragracing gave me his phone number and I'll call him this afternoon for some tips on driving. It may just be me, but I can't drive the car any faster the way it is swaying. From his initial PM response, I think jnj is gonna tell me to get set at the lights and freeze my steering hand and try not to move it. I have read lots about needing to run ALL bias ply tires, but jnj is running radials up front like I am and is going SUPER fast, so I'm wondering about it. Anybody is welcome to learn about this along with me. Attached is a little video with Rebekah filming (She's the 18 year old saying "I know, I know, I know (her favorite response to any recommendation these days). Sorry the video is sideways. I have started a thread called: "Learning to drag race a z-car" on the Motorsports forum. A photo of my new switch panel I made to control my line-lock and 2-step is shown. I installed 2 other switches for any future use.

IMG_0552.MOV

post-5903-027941300 1341160783_thumb.jpg

Edited by RebekahsZ

I find it hilarious how she giggled like a school girl when you said "im gonna go harder", it was pretty much priceless.

Back on topic, ive heard horror stories of guys running Bias Slicks with radials on the front, i think an easy (but probably not cheap) fix will be to get some skinnies to compliment them.

hehe, i couldnt resist man

quite honestly i would take just about any drag racers opinion over my own on the matter, as i dont do drag racing that often, but i just have heard (i believe it was on here, or on SVTperformance, my other trolling forum) about the mismatch of tires basically the large amount of lateral traction in the front, combined with the low amount of lateral traction in the rear causes the rear end to wobble all over the place

By the way, she IS a school girl. I gave her crap about it - she's blushing now...touch her and I'll kill you.

Hoping to get to track on Saturday and try some of the things I'm being told. I have money saved for some bias ply front runners. I hope to get tons of runs in on Saturday to add data points. I'm gonna play with shock settings, tire pressures and driving styles. Then, I'll probably get that quick shiping from Summitt or Jegs for some Sportsmans and I'll try them the following week. It will be much easier for me to change front tires than back tires since I have to work around those tubes and rim screws in the back. jnjdragracing wears bias ply in back and radials in front, but it may not be an issue for him, since his front tires hardly every touch the ground.

Edited by RebekahsZ

• 1 month later...

Bias ply front runners have pretty much stopped the tail wagging. However, driving a car with bias ply tires is weird. Kind of feels like you have a trailer behind you making car wander like it is in a strong, variable cross wind. Gonna take some practice.

Got pedals modified to put switches at clutch full down and full up. Plan is to turn off line lock after leaving full down and turn off 2-step rev limiter when clutch is full up. We'll see how it goes. going to visit a friend tomorrow to plan out circuitry and switches so I can get a bunch of weather pack connectors and relays ordered. Couldn't get good pictures of switches, so I've attached a video.

IMG_0614.MOV

Ditched rear swaybar - was too close to outer CVs for comfort and was gonna be a PITA for exhaust routing. Inspected CV axles for spline damage and added grease. Painted rock-catcher welded on front crossmember to protect oilpan. Bled and adjusted clutch AGAIN and made cut-off 7mm clutch adjustment wrench. Replaced o-ring on fuel sender (been leakin for a few months: don't clean o-rings with carb cleaner) and installed brand new fuel level sender while I was at it; cleaned off all the grime. Unpacked new ebay 3.54 open R200 that I plan to put a CLSD carrier in this winter and put it on the shelf. My back hurts and I think I've got a piece of metal in my cornea. Time for bed.

• 3 weeks later...

Moved thread because I wasn't getting any replies. Figured forum was bored with it, so I didn't want it competing with more interesting and current topics. It should have been in the member projects to start with anyway.

Car stopped shifting well (like not at all) only at high power/rpm. Went thru all the hydraulics without improving the situation. Dropped tranny = Burned up stock GTO clutch, probably due to poor technique at the dragstrip. Clutch disc looks fine, but pressure plate and flywheel have very uneven wear. Have car torn down waiting for new clutch kit to arrive. Hopeful this will solve problem. First 2-3 trips to strip car performed great, so I'm hoping to work on my goal of 7.0 and 100mph (1/8-mile) before it gets cold and tracks close. New clutch is a Mantic ER2 organic/ceramic single disc from East Coast Performance. I bought his whole kit, plus some sort of special brew of transmission oil for a total of $1200; includes everything from slave and lines/bleeder to flywheel and ARP bolts. Hope to install it this week if it arrives and start clutch break-in this weekend with the goal of being back at the track in 2 weeks.

Had a nice visit this weekend from Aero Z who lives about an hour and a half away. Gave him an old set of u-joint half-shafts I'll never use again.

Edited by RebekahsZ

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished reading this book of a thread. Great stuff. You still able to answer calls? Or have you changed you number from all the people callen haha? Im in the beginning stages of my build. Its nice to see you car running and on the road. When i first started reading you had just a lightly modified z. Now its a beast!! Thanks for all the thuro updates. Its really help me get thing in order as i go along. Good luck Keith!

Jim

Sure I'm taking calls, but honestly nobody has ever called! Everybody has a different take on the build but by now we ought to have a cook book. I would have loved more guidance on the wiring but that was where the least help was forthcoming. I bet there are a bunch of conversions out there with everything done BUT the wiring. I'll be happy to help where ever I can. I'm still having trouble with intermittent clutch failure to disengage.