HybridZ

LS/T56/240z Project Mentor Wanted

• 4 weeks later...

I published my race results and videos in the Gen3 sub forum of the V8 forum with a bunch of photos from the race. Car improved my class record from 167 to 174 due to the airdam and headlight covers and an unknown amount of help from a tail wind. I know that I put the car in a neglected class and that anybody who really wanted to work at it a little could go faster. But for the moment a hybridz with a totally stock LS2 engine is the ECTA C/GMS class record holder, destroying the previous record by 13mph. My goal for next year is to go the same speed with my hands lightly on the wheel with relaxed hands instead of being white-knuckled and scared to death. That's gonna take some suspension setup revisions. If i can get the car to go straighter, i will have to consider whether i want to try to take this car faster, or to build a real race car dedicated to straight line racing. Next stop is ZCON Memphis, Jily 15-18, to participate in all 3 driving events and the show.

post-5903-0-47184100-1435460994_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-98907300-1435461012_thumb.jpg

Edited by RebekahsZ

• 4 weeks later...

Go to 5:30 and watch thru 6:40.

Here's a video from ZCON 2015. We got a wave-by prior to passing. I don't remember passing the camera car at this point on the track. 1 tuff z may have been driving my car in this video. Unfortunately we had a TC rod failure the following day and had to sit out the drag racing (actually I got some seat time in socorob's car and a little drag racing in my truck-couldn't stay away).

Edited by RebekahsZ

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

World of Speed got cancelled due to poor salt condition. I've been shut out 2 years in a row due to salt/weather. I'm gonna limit myself to ECTA standing mile because of a more reliable surface. Hoping to make a 200mph run within 5 years. This year is suspension, next year is cage and chassis safety mods, year after that is forged iron block motor, year after that is a snail. I figure it will take doubling the hp to get 26mph faster. Burton Brown is working on a gas modified sport S30 (might be an S130) that is sure to de-throne me in the gas class.

Edited by RebekahsZ

• 1 month later...

This month's Hot Rod magazine has an article on ECTA and the Top Speed Challenge in May this past spring. They featured several cars including DIYTuning's 240sx. I let the photographer, Larry Chen, drive my car (which set 3 class records BTW), but it wasn't enough to get featured in the article. Maybe we can get some Z-love in the years ahead. A 200mph pass sure wouldn't hurt! Larry did get my car into the on-line version of the magazine back in June.

Smooth at 170, but it was a little darty. You can see the little corrections I was having to make in order to stay in the middle of the course. There's a crack right diwn the middle of the lane. Trying to stay off that crack and out of the cones was my concern. If the cones were ON the crack it would be better. But because of the crack, the course was about half as wide as it could have been. I never knew whether to try to straddle the crack or drive down one side of it (which put you right on the cones). I guess I just need more passes to get comfy at those speeds. 174 is a HELL of a lot faster than 148. 174 is even a lot faster than 165. I can't imagine these guys going 200mph in the 1/8-mile. Those guys are gods. The guys on this site that poo-pooh straight line racing really piss me off-it's a lot harder than it looks.

I have been procrastinating a lot since ZCON but the plan is to reduce scrub radius by setting the camber close to zero, then adding as much caster as I can. New tie rod ends and double the spring rate to try to limit suspension movement. The car was pretty straight under power, but the timing section was actually a lot narrower than the course from the 1/2-mile to the 1-mile, IIRC. Then hit the brakes and the car really wandered bad. Those are the big steering corrections you see at the end of the run. Prior to braking it was all fingertip corrections. You guys thinking about joining me at the ECTA? That would be great!

Edited by RebekahsZ