HybridZ

Tuning my turbo L28 and need some help

S130Z

Hey guys. So after getting my car back from paint jail and the installation of an Isky Racing turbo cam, I have started tuning. Since I do not have a dyno available in my budget, street tuning is all I have. I know where to tune my fuel maps into, but I am a little unsure about where to go with my Spark map.

Here is my setup:

Rebuilt L28ET with stock internals 7.4:1 compression.

Garret T3/T4 GT30 .70a/r compressor .63a/r turbine w/ intercooler

MSII 3.57 controlling fuel and spark off stock dizzy

440cc injectors

Isky Racing cam 490/276 intake 480/268 exhaust w/ 112* lobe center

Total Ign. advance @ 15psi is 21.4* @ 11.5 AFR and intake temps around 77-80*

My ZX pulls really hard up to about 5k and then the power starts falling off pretty fast. My questions are, can I use more timing to get more top end power? or is my stock intake really holding me back above 5k?

P.S. - I do not have a knock sensor, and I should probably get one...I know!

That is from about 3500 RPM all the way mapped to 7000. I'm wondering how much safe yet effective timing the L28ET can take? And would 12.0 AFR a good spot to tune to gradually after peak torque? I am running 93 oct BTW.

Now in my mind, timing advance should gradually increase all the way to redline. I think this because the engine is spinning faster and faster, there for combustion should happen sooner so the flame front would hit the piston at the right time. Am I wrong for thinking this way?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Timing advance is usually all in by ~3500 rpm. Then you start retarding based on boost.

Some will say 1 degree less advance per lb. of boost and some say a bit more.

You don't mention having a wideband O2 sensor.

If you have one, what's the A/F ratio when it starts to fall on it's face?

Why aren't you posting this in the Megasqurt forum?

Edited by Brad-ManQ45

I'm not posting in the MegaSquirt section because it does not matter what stand alone system I am using to get a proper tune.

And funny you should ask about the wideband. Yes, I have one. And above 5800 rpms has been extremely rich....as in 9.2:1 rich. I have been tuning this out and she is pulling really nice up to 7000rpms now.

That is from about 3500 RPM all the way mapped to 7000. I'm wondering how much safe yet effective timing the L28ET can take? And would 12.0 AFR a good spot to tune to gradually after peak torque? I am running 93 oct BTW.

Now in my mind, timing advance should gradually increase all the way to redline. I think this because the engine is spinning faster and faster, there for combustion should happen sooner so the flame front would hit the piston at the right time. Am I wrong for thinking this way?

I've found this practice to work well - as others have said retard the timing as boost comes up, but then you can add a degree or two per 1k rpm from the torque peak to redline. Start with something conservative ans see how it works for you.

Here's pretty much what mine looks like - ignore the hp and torque numbers, this was taken from a third gear on-road pull, and is not an "official" dyno number...

SJ4.JPG

Edited by TimZ