HybridZ

Cowl Induction Hoods

z ya

I recently cowled my stock steel hood and I think it came out pretty well. Since the under hood reinforcement on a Z is all on the perimeter, the center is free to move where you want it. I measured 4" down each side and 4" across the back and then sliced it open down to about 2-3" from the front edge. Now the "cowl" flap can be put where ever you want it. I welded 1/8 rod along both openings and then used 3/16" rod for lift supports. 2" at the back, forced 2" supports 16" forward, then just let the hood flow back. The nice thing is the lines stay Datsun. You will need a little bondo to fill the slight dimples at the front, from raising rear, but all in all it looks nasty. I will email a pix of mine.

Bill

Get in touch with VR Eng and ask who is buying them out. Check back once a month until they do. I just got my Cowl Hood last week and it came with three corners with the gel coat damaged because it was packed loose in a box and I guess I'll have to try to fixit. confused2.gif

Guest Anonymous

If you go with the add on cowl induction type (camaro) get one thats as long as possible, that way you can avoid having to try and blend it to the stock bump in the datsun hood. I used a L88 type thats sort of just glassed on and badly primed and the front had to be notched around the datsun bulge in the hood. Had I gone with a longer camaro type it would have covered all of that bump and looked MUCH better without trying to blend that bump into the contours like I'd have to do now if I finished my hood out. Keep in mind the height too, a stock Z windshield is not exactly that tall and adding a cowl WILL take away some vision to the front right if its very tall. Just some things I ran into while doing mine. Good luck with it (and yes had I had more money I would have gotten a complete glass hood and called it a day.. :rolleyes: ).

Regards,

Lone