HybridZ

Help identify unknown 5 speed transmission

HCS01

Hello all,

I picked up a 72 240Z last night. When I was checking it out today, the engine and transmission don't match. They don't bolt up correctly. I should also note the transmission is a 5 speed manual.

This is my first Z, so I was hoping someone could at least point me in the right direction to find out what I have. I tried a couple searches, but didn't come up with anything. It might be that I don't know what keywords to look for. Also, I tried to call the lady I bought it from and ask her, but she won't even return my calls. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

post-13873-060421900 1289432960_thumb.jpg

post-13873-038761600 1289432975_thumb.jpg

First, you know that no 240Z came from the factory with a 5-speed transmission. That doesn't necessarily mean your transmission doesn't fit! My 74 260Z has a 1983 engine (from a 280ZX) and a 5-speed transmission from a 77 280Z...

Here are a couple of pictures, the first one shows the original L26 engine coming OUT of my car - it has a Nissan 4-speed attached (if not the original tranny, it's a least "period correct"). Looks alot like how yours is mounted, ya?

The second picture is my '83 L28ET with the '77 5-speed attached. You'll see the only real difference is the 2 aluminum brackets I used on the lower part of the bell housing. They came on one of the engine/transmission donors that my son and I have had over the years.

post-5024-002347100 1289434463_thumb.jpg

post-5024-062377100 1289434626_thumb.jpg

Hard to tell from the pics but it looks like it fits.  Does it work?  If so, it's probably fine.  It does look like a Nissan/Datsun trans from the little I can see.  Chances are it's from a 77-83 Z or ZX model.  All of which bolt up fine.  Gear ratios vary from year to year but none are unusable. Pictures of the shifter mounting area, and the various bosses and sensors can give a clue as to what year/model it is. 

Edited by cygnusx1

First, you know that no 240Z came from the factory with a 5-speed transmission.

....in the north American market.

The rest of the world got the choice of 5-speed transmissions ( FS5C71-A, and then FS5C71-B ) on S30-series Z cars right from the beginning of production.

First off, Thanks everyone. I really appreciate it.

Yeah, it seems to work fine. I was just concerned with the gap between the engine and trans. The bolt holes in the plate attached to the engine and those in the mouth of the bell housing don't quite line up. I will do some digging around now that I have a better idea of what I am looking at.

Thanks again for the help. CGSheen: Thank you for those pics

Edited by HCS01

If there is a gap between the cast iron block and the trans, then you do have an issue.  Most likley it's the correct tranny but incorrect installation.  Possibly double dowel pins.  I have forgotten to check the dowels before and attempted to put a dowel into a dowel...it doesn't work!  Sometimes there is a dowel in the block AND the trans from the donor car.  One of them has to be removed before assembly.

• 2 weeks later...

I think he is referring to the splash guard plate.

HCS01, that thin plate between the engine and trans is not structural. It's more of a splash guard. There are only 4 bolts that hold a L series engine/trans together. If you wanted to bolt the lower portion of the plate to the trans you can do so. An 8mm bolt would work just fine. Another option is if the engine you have is a later block, and is machined for the braces CGSHEEN shows pics of you can use those instead. If you have an earlier 5spd you will need to drill and tap the holes in the trans bell housing.

I currently have a 75-76 N42 block, and it's not machined for the engine to trans brace. My old 79 5spd was not drilled for the braces either.

If I were in your situation, I would not worry about it, the lower brace is not needed.

The transmission tail housing, If there is only 1 ear on it (used for mounting exhaust hangers) then it's an 81-83 5spd.

based on the picture, it looks like you have an early block (no holes drilled/tapped on the bottom of the lower mounting ears). If that's the case you cannot use the braces shown in the picture above.