HybridZ

Can anyone help me with putting a windshield in myself?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

rom. it can be done without much experience with a new gasket and patience but they crack from the slightest bind. Call around and see what an installer that will come to your home charges to install your windshield.I have heard of around $100.0 for window and installation in your drive way. I used to do it but one cracked windshield will cure you of the habit quick..

Guest jdllaugh

I got a quote from a local Glass Doctor of $175 plus the cost of the seal, and they would come to me. A windshield is just too easy to break and too expensive to mess with.

I didn't ask, but I bet those mobile glass folks would install a window you already have, for a reasonable fee.

Guest Anonymous

My mecnahic and I put one in my 280Z. I paid $70 for the glass from a local windshield distributor in Dallas. Price was so low that I thought I could break one and still break even. There is a trick that we used which is to take a length of coated electrical wire (like 10- 12 guage or so), or strong thin cord, and place the wire/cord totally around windshield perimeter inside rubber molding. Then place W/S on metal opening of car aand start to work into frame. As you insert rubber into metal W/S frame, every six or 8 inches or so, you can start pull out slowly the wire/cord which places outside moulding lip on outside of the windshield. Still, the job was a bitch. Good Luck

Steve

i have done a few and its not too bad a job.the trick is to use the cord like he said but slather the whole seal with dish washing liquid(its super slippery).put the seal on the glass 1st,slather it up with the liquid,make the two ends of the wire come out about 6 inches from one of the upper corners,put the whole thing up on the car as close as possible,and start pulling the one wire AWAY from the corner,seating the top inner bead.Carefully work your way around keeping upward light pressure on the glass,and it will pull right into place.the last upper sharp corner is the hardest part.once its in,wash all the soap off and you're done! 2thumbs.gif:D

I have done it, but would not do it again.

One break and it's for not. And that is exactly what happened to me . And I was pretty careful.

On hindsight, saving a hundred bucks or so is just not worth it. Burn a couple hours, and a buddies time too, massaging dishwasher soap and extension cords.. (leaked afterwards cause the sealant couldn't get a bite through the residue/water that never really dried out of the channel).

For this job, let a pro handle it. If he breaks it, he pays for it. If it leaks it's covered.

We did my buddies '55 ford Custom line. $600 windshield... We used rubber cement for the lubricant/glue/sealer and used heavy cotton twine similar to how Steve325 did. Glue the seal to the windshield, then put the string in the body channel of the rubber. Liberally apply rubber cement. Then lay the assembly on the car where it goes, and from the inside pull the end of the string which pulls the rubber into position. I have heard people do it with out using the rubber cement, but most of them end up pulling it back out because of leaks. Now would be a good time to clean and put rust converter/sealer on the body seam under the seal.

Guest Zachb55

so what do most people do??? do they put the seal (considering its new) on the glass and then pop the two of them into the channel as one piece, or glue the seal in and then do your best to work the glass into it afterward??? tell me what i should do...

-Zach

I found that putting the stainless trim in FIRST after you put the seal on the windshield, but before you put the thing in the car works best. It may help to tape over it to keep it in while you are moving things around.

I've done a few in a Z myself. I thought it was pretty easy, even with an old gasket. But with an expensive paint job, I wanted a pro doing it.