HybridZ

10th aniv. 280ZX : Good or bad deal

Mrkt280zx

Yesterday on a popular public selling forum I ran across a 1980 ZX 10th anniversary edition (black and gold), and it has been parked since its restoration 10 years ago in a concrete floored barn. It looks nice enough (rust free, under 30k miles, clear title). Did I mention it is the original owners son selling the car? His father passed last year and left him the car which he doesn't want. So the question I have is: is the car worth the 3900 he wants for it?

3k23m33pc5t25p65r2aap91.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

probably. does it have the number badge proving it really is a 10 ann edition and other paperwork. Depends to some extent on the restoration work that was done. some unscrupulous people have been known to redo, repaint and rebadge. Check around the web there should be a site that gives you vin #'s for those cars. they only made 2500 of them in the gold/black. so if it has a plate inside that reads more than 2500 that might be a clue to a scam. 3900 for a 80 s130 might be high unless really in fine shape. Have you driven it?

• 1 month later...

From here that looks like a flat top. I thought all annies were T-Tops. If indeed it is a t-top and there is no rust, as there shouldn't be since it is a Socal car, it's be a hell of a deal. I question what kind of restoration a car with less than 30k miles needs. By now the headliner has fallen and the vinyl in the back and qtr panel has shrunk. It looks pretty dusty from here, perhaps it needs a good wax job.

One just went in San Antonio for $7200. but it was primo. Keep in mind you are not going to get a Z and make money off of it, especially if you have to contract out your work. But then I have been told on this forum we are not interested about investment not fiduciary responsibility and if we are we need to seek a stockbroker.

guy....youre starting to reallly get on my nerves, some cars are investments (10th ae LOW miles, ZX-R's, Black Pearl Edition 78s, A low vin/miles series one, etc) stop being such an idiot and post useful info, or stop hitting the reply button.

In other news, if the car could be had for cheaper itd be even better (if its not running, obviously been sitting, etc) he should be atleast somewhat flexable on the price, if not hes probably like 350z fanboy above that swears the cars are worth a fortune, or NOTHING at all....hopefully he really just wants to sell the car.