HybridZ

Turbo engine for 240z

Blitz_86

Okay well ive had my 240z for about a year finished most of the work I wanted.Replaced/Upgraded most of the suspention now I'm thinking about getting rid of the old l24.Now ive been thinking about which engine to swap,l28et,rb25det,Sr20det really wanna go turbo never had one before.Now I only want about 250ish at the wheels for my car I hear thats cake for a l28et.Now since Im not in any rush to do the swap.Now anyone out there have a engine at 250ish how does it run,what did you have to do,How bad is the swap into the 240z.How much did yu have to spend. I know most of the these have been answered but looking for more first hand knowledge then anything any help will be grateful......Sorry for my typing using a smart phone so hard to edit :(

L28et swap is almost as simple as a stock engine swap. most difference is ecu and harness.... As for 250 hp, is that wheel, or flywheel? for the flywheel, 3" exhaust intercooler, a decent turbo (for hat low super 60?) I'd recomend the 300zx ecu swap.... should be good for a decent 10 psi turbo setup... and should with a decent setup be 250 to the wheels, and dead daily reliable!!! you could say 300 whp, but I would say a small methanol shot and 13 psi..... should be impressive....

As for the cost,

L28 swaps are anywhere from 300 up for something thas gonna be decent...

the 3" exhaust woul be certified muffler. I don't know the cost.

decnt turbo should be had for under 500 (decent ones if you trust ebay specials like I do) as little as 200

300zx ecu, and harness and maf.. 2-300? maybe a bit less (junkyard, what 50-60?)

intercooler, probably under 300 for a complete kit....

I had probably 1200 in mine, but I also rebuilt the whole motor, and she screamed..... the 300 ecu swap is amazing in the difference..

but also whats the budget?

Theres ways around spending real money in place of doing alot yourself...

well,Where im at right now is i have a p90 head and f54 block in a okay condition,both will have to be rebuilt but im im missing most of the plumbing the budget isnt to bad i plan to do everything myself,Some things i will have to buy i know but i can afford those but lets say 2 to 3k budget

If this is your first engine swap, do the L28ET. But as much as I like the L series, you need to really love it in order to stick with it. They're NOT the easiest motor to work with, though if you DO get to know them inside and out they'll treat you right.

But that being said, if 250whp is your goal, just about ANY motor will get you there with a turbo (which is what you want). Some other options you might want to consider:

NISSAN:

VG30ET - fits nicely, but custom manifolds are a must, or reworking the steering(ewww)

KA24DET - Would make this power on very low levels of boost, and there's LOTS of part support for it now days. Almost as much displacement and better heads out of the box.

VQ35DE - Makes your HP goal stock, without turbo. You could turbo down the road when it's not powerful enough anymore. One of the best factory 6 speeds out there.

CA18ET - Kinda counter productive, but a neat little engine if you want something small displacement

RB25DET - is overkill for your goals, but it's a neat motor that's a much better long term choice than the L series.

SR20DET - Awesome little 4 banger. My personal 4 cylinder choice if the KA24DET isn't to your liking.

Ford:

Turbo Pinto OHC - This is the turbo 4 that came in mustangs, turbocoupes, and the amazing merkur XR4Ti. Wonderfully simple engine with plenty of potential

Any V8 - As long as it's pushrod will fit nicely.

Mazda:

Miata Engine? - Would be the first I've seen and it makes a decent little turbo motor up to about 300 wheel hp.

Toyota:

7MGTE - Wildly underrated by the import crowd. With the right prep the stock engine WILL take 500hp and much more when built.

1JZGTE - Makes plenty of power, and much cheaper from importers than the 2JZ.

2JZGTE - Overkill for your desires. Costs too much imo.

Any of their V6 motors

Honda:

F20C anyone? Makes 240 out of the box, amazing 6 speed. Just add a turbo pushing a mere 5 psi and I bet you'll hit your power goals.

GM:

LS1 - Good choice

LS2 - Good choice

LS3 - Good choice, maybe a bit expensive for what the others cost

LM7 - Good choice

L31 - Good choice

LQ4 - Good choice

LQ9 - Good choice

etc etc etc

Dodge:

Take your pick, if it's RWD it's probably capable of your goals.

My point in all this is that you have the opportunity to be a little creative, and you just named three of the most common nissan engines that are kind of "buzz words" right now. They're the "cool" things to use by many of the young kiddos in the car hobby (I AM a kiddo btw so don't take offence).

So either do the L series swap, since you already have parts of it, or serious think about your options. Because there sure are a lot of them.

There's a thread on here you can search for, (just search KA24) of a member with a KA24DET powered S30 that had an entire vehicle budget of $3k iirc. I think he had less than $2k in his entire motor and he was pushing like 350hp to the wheels I think.

I know that's lots of wishy washy guesses, but just go find the thread for more info. Point being, he spent less than many on here do on rims and tires and had a motor/tranny combo that would tear it up!

The really nice thing about the KA, is that it makes enough power stock in NA form to just worry about swapping it in to begin with, and then converting it to turbo down the road. (made more NET HP than any of the factory L series in Z cars) This allows you to spread out the costs a bit. Figure $1k for getting the motor/tranny purchased and put in (if you do it yourself) and another $1k or so converting it to turbo and tuning it. These motors can often be purchased well under $500 because of all the 240SX owners putting in SR motors.