HybridZ

L24 build questions

rayaapp2

Its going slow. I was involved in a serious home accident that landed me in the the ICU for 13 days. The medical bills are piling up and Im having issues with my other vehicles at the moment. I basically lit myself on fire and ended up with 2nd degree burns on something like %15-20 of my body(number changes depending on which hospital paper you look at). My chest, stomach, left side, arms, hands, and face were all burned and I narrowly escaped having to get skin graphs.

I did buy KTM's short block last month. I slapped my stock E31 on it with the Mikuni's and the new header. Its running, but I suspect my has an issue as I have a loud ticking and my clearances for valve train are in spec. i think my line bore may have an issue at this point so Im dead in the water on that car and my Turbo failed on my 260Z the other week so that one is also dead in the water. Im currently sharing my wifes car until I get the Turbo sorted out and I can deal with the 240Z again after that.

The stock L24 came out just in time as the tensioners came apart and let plastic fly everywhere.(yes I did go through the oil galleys on the cylinder head before I re-used it). I checked the deck, but forgot to double check line bore in the cam towers.

If and when I recover financially I still plan on having the head professionally worked and building the bottom end to my wants. Its just all on hold until that time.

KTM's L28 F54 turbo short block: with HKS .32mm stainless gasket(I think it has a viton coating on it), E31 cylinder head, "A" cam, Mikuni manifold, Solex/Mikuni 40mm side drafts, greddy/trust/nismo/etc header with 50mm twice pipes.

P1050784.jpg

P1050786.jpg

The cars kinda of a mess under the hood right now. Need a new battery,radiator, etc. I am not running around with those velocity stacks either. I have a set of K&N filters on it until I can afford a nice air box.

Most of the crank fire ignition is sitting on my workbench as well. Im short the ignition coils and megajolt.

Edited by rayaapp2

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Damn,don't know how you do anything in that kind of pain.

Glad to see you got KTM's stuff, I imagine it's nice, but I thought that block was going to be for a turbo?

I have been following the thread because I still mess with the L24 block. Not many folks still trying to tweek power out of them, they just move on to bigger and better things---but this is HybridZ!!

It's funny you mention the ticking, because I am dealing with the same thing. It almost sounds like an exhaust leak and my clearances are also to spec. For now i just drive it!

Yeah, getting burned sucks. Ive been healing up nicely though. It happened back in March. There was a month or 2 of major healing. Im still doing the stretching and wearing compression garments at this point to keep scare damage from taking over. I also have to keep out of the sun.

Yes KTM's block was a F54 Turbo bottom end. Its now a 9.3:1 compression ratio naturally aspirated engine running 114 through the triples in the picture above and I was working on a getting Nitrous for it, but thats on hold at the moment.

The fuel tank is also giving me intermittent problems. Sometimes it will clog and sometimes it will work fine for a few days. The tank hasnt ever been so much trouble, though I was running the SU's at about 1psi of fuel pressure and these triples are at 3.5psi. So the tank has to come out and get boiled before I can get tune it anymore. So its sitting waiting for me to finish the other car. Im keeping my eyes open for another cylinder head for now, but I have a bunch of cam towers to play with as well. When I get some time Ill pull the cam out and torque everything back down and take my measurements.

260ZR Progress

The L24 is sitting on the engine stand waiting for its day to come. I was able to procure an extra oil sending unit for the L24 when I replaced the leaking one on the 260ZR I bought 2.