HybridZ

Removed tach last night, now 240z won't start

I took my tach out of the dash Friday and mailed it to JCI for recalibration for LS2 conversion. Other than pulling the tach, I haven't done anything else, and it still has the L24 in it. Tried to start car today to get to the table saw on the other side of it and it won't start. It was cold last night and I haven't bothered my daughter to turn the key while I checked spark, but I'm hoping for an easy answer from the smart experienced folks on the forum rather than standing in the freezing cold trying to figure it out. Straight Question: If all else is fine, should my 240z start and run with the tach removed or is it somehow in the ignition circuit?

Check for 12volts at the coil + when the key is in the run position.  If it's not, then you know why it wont run. I am not sure, but it is entirely possible that the 12v was feeding through the tach circuit.  Another possibility is that you knocked some connectors loose under the dash. 

Edited by cygnusx1

yeah there is a lead from the tach to the coil. On the coil, you will see that there are two small wires on one terminal post; one of these wires runs just a couple of inches and disappears into the wiring harness; eventually it goes to the tach. I believe you will start right up if you unplug that one.

RebekahsZ

Connect the two removed Tach sense wires together and the car should start. The Tach is in a series ignition circuit sensing coil current to extract pulses to register RPM.

Regards,

Rolland Sicard

I took my tach out of the dash Friday and mailed it to JCI for recalibration for LS2 conversion. Other than pulling the tach, I haven't done anything else, and it still has the L24 in it. Tried to start car today to get to the table saw on the other side of it and it won't start. It was cold last night and I haven't bothered my daughter to turn the key while I checked spark, but I'm hoping for an easy answer from the smart experienced folks on the forum rather than standing in the freezing cold trying to figure it out. Straight Question: If all else is fine, should my 240z start and run with the tach removed or is it somehow in the ignition circuit?

as a matter of fact, I DO need help with eye surgery. I've always been a Do-It-Yourselfer, but I like to get a few tips from a pro before I start.My ten-year-old LASIK surgery needs touching up and apparently there is a more modern procedure now that will eliminate the halos. I have a laser pointer and a fresh x-acto knife and a bottle of 65-yo scotch...is there anything else I will need? Sorry if this has been asked before but I did use the search function and didn't find anything.