HybridZ

Side Draft Air Horn fitment

rayaapp2

Im going through a set of 40PHH side drafts to put on my 240Z. They came with K&N air cleaners and a set of big air horns.

Horn Measurements in mm

carb small side ID ~48mm

big side of horn is 80mm OD

height is ~50mm

P1050153.jpg

P1050146.jpg

Then we have the 40PHH filter side measurements.

Inside I find a step?

P1050147.jpg

P1050150.jpg

Why is it stepped?

It goes from ~48mm down to ~41.5mm in sharp 90° angles. ~3.25mm step for what?

Maybe it has provision for a special slide in air horn(not the outer bolt on kind)?

P1050151.jpg

In any case the Air Horns I have do not appear to be functional with my setup. They are far to big, and the outer radius doesnt appear to be ideal for air horn functionality either. Am I correct in my thinking here that these things are just bling?

Why is it stepped? Because in Toyota OEM applications that was a removable part. It allows the same venturis to be transferred from the stock 40PHH to a set of 44phh's that you put on the manifold after you port the head and manifold. Early 18RG and 2TG's used these carbs. I have a few with that removable venturi. Matter of fact, there is a set of them on a VARA 510 that I lent for the cause....

Horns you got sound like standard parts for a 44PHH.

Edited by Tony D

Glad you asked about that"step", since I have looked at the same thing on my 40phhs and wonderwed what it was all about. I thought maybe my very complete kit was actually missing something----I guess not. Still make me want to fill the gap with something though!