HybridZ

windshield removal help...

Rianthebear

Well i don't think there is a special trick between one car and another. I have done it with a mate of mine and some fine wire but not successfully... But maybe if you are nice and careful or pay a professional you should have it out with little worries :>

Hey,

Use one of these tools...the blade end for removing your trim. The round end for going around the perimeter of your windshield. Make sure the little ball is between the moulding and the body of the car not the moulding and the windshield grove in the moulding.

Do not pry on the glass, breakage will result.

Get in the passenger seat and put your foot up on the top corner. Push with good firmness. Apply steady pressure moving along the top edge and then along the side B-pillar. You should feel the windshield beginning to move. Once the lip of the moulding has popped off the body edge you can use moderate foot pressure to remove the windshield.

Use the "old twine in the windshield moulding" method to replace the windshield.

http://www.princessauto.com/workshop/hand-tools/automotive-tools/autobody/8002190-windshield-moulding-tool

Take your time, it'll come out without breaking.

RSC

The S130 windshield sealing is very different than the S30 Z cars so the windshield removal/replacement procedure is likewise different.

The early S30 cars used a thick, heavy rubber seal/gasket between the glass and the windshield opening in the body. This was the “classic†method of retaining a car’s windshield.

The S130 cars do not have a gasket/seal to hold the windshield in place. They use a thick layer of glass sealant to attach the glass to the body. This is the “modern†method of securing the windshield glass. The trim around the edges of the glass hides the sealant from the sun’s UV rays and must be removed before the glass will come out.

The S130’s windshield must be cut out with the appropriate tool. I like using a razor cutter that is attached to a handle and uses a puller to apply additional force needed to cut through the adhesive. It’s not a easy job.

Replacing the glass requires a purchase of a caulk-sized tube of sealant which is available at auto body supply stores.

The S130 windshield replacement procedure is well documented in the FSM. I suggest reading it.

post-237-039430500 1294183411_thumb.jpg

post-237-061493100 1294183476_thumb.jpg

Personally, with what a glass place charges to install a windshield, I let them do it!

Gittin'r out is as Steve says: the special tool and there is a trim removal tool as well. If it's a rock chip or whatever and you're replacing the windshield, I'd seriously recommend just taking it to the glass place!

I agree with Tony, if possible let a professional do it. My dad and I had the unfortunate experience of having the windshield on my 280z crack while we were trying to remove it. It wasn't the original glass, so I didn't feel bad about breaking an OE windshield, but that didn't make it hurt any less when we had to get a new one. I am usually a proponent of doing what you can yourself, but this is one of the few areas where I am happy to sit back and watch a professional work, heck, even the guys on Musclecar usually hire a glass guy.

This is what the clip looks like. The square end goes into the top of the molding lip and the 2 wings go into the bottom. The plastic clip is then pushed into the groove. They make a tools that allows you to slide along and get under it. I assume you are wanting to remove the molding to paint or repair rust. If the car has been painted. Chances are they taped the molding and you will chip paint unless you first go along the edge with a razor.

post-10152-022682200 1294261757_thumb.jpg

post-10152-056935900 1294261773_thumb.jpg

Aha, guess I haven't looked too closely at the windshield area of an S130 before. Still, I did do something similar inside my car. I have a couple of X-acto knife sets that had thin, 5-6" long blades. They worked great to cut through the sealing adhesive (and rubber seal in my case), working from inside the vehicle. The thin blade could flex some and was long enough to cut all the way through with a few passes. Just be very careful not to jab through the adhesive and onto bare metal.

Edited by blue72