HybridZ

truck bed liner in interior(pics)

Guest m35514h

Originally posted by 240hybrid:

Never thought of using bed liner for that purpose. Kinda like undercoating the interior. Just wondering, whats the added weight of that stuff??

Probably minimal since adding a V8 or turbo motor makes it a rocket anyway.

280Zone: thanks--I had forgotten that trick! smile.gif The interior looks like you could mop up a capuccino spill in short order ;)

I have thought about doing something similar to my interior.

Davy

Guest Anonymous

i use bed liner a lot its part of a 3 step deal

1 coat por 15

2 coat bed liner (6 cans dose top and bottom of floor)

3 whiel the bed liner is still wet i hit it with paint (the 2 paints mix and after 6 mo its hard as nails) (you can use the car in the 6 mo its just like a bace coat clear coat thing)

Tom D of the NJ Z Car club has a eng bay i did every time i see it it looks better

Guest Anonymous

M35514h,

Did you remove all of the original asphalt sound deadener or did you just remove the loose stuff, before installing the Herculiner?

Do you think that Dynamat will stick to this stuff since it has those little bits of rubber in it?

It does look good. I know that it comes in red and blue too.

Thank you

Guest m35514h

I think brown bead would stick to it, as long as you plan to put carpet over it.

You can mop up a spill in short order... its great because i am messy.

It gets pretty thick. I did a 2 step plan POR-15 and then Herculiner. Going on top of the herculiner you don't need a second coat. I recommend using the roller that comes with the stuff after you have used the paintbrush. It makes it look a lot better. It doesnt take much to do the interior. I bought a one gallon can and have used a quarter of it. Thanks for the feedback.

Guest Zachb55

Are most bed liners like that a brush/roll on type of application or are their some that can be sprayed through a special gun? would there be any advantage to spraying it it was possible? i could imagine maybe a better surface but maybe worse coverage and really hard-to-remove overspray...

Couple of comments about bedliner applications...

I did mine with the Bedliner and Por15 combo... I have rust AGAIN... BE CAREFULL when applying this stuff...It is DANGEROUS to breath... I got so sick and so high on that stuff and I had no idea I was until I was driving home from the shop... NOT GOOD... Anyway, As Michael Ol. will attest, as he saw it this weekend, My white Z has rust in the floors starting to show ALREADY and the car has only been stored outside Since September. The car has windows in it, and the doors are all closed up, all metal serfaces prepped with POR15 and BEDLINED and I still have traces of surface rust creeping through... Even have a car cover over it. I was a bit more than just disappointed when I saw it... I even used the POR15 Metal cleaner and Metal Prep, did POR15 one day, let it cure for three, and then applied the Bedliner... Not sure what the answer is, but Don't be surprised if your lovely pans start to rust again over time... I must confess, when you see the bedliner on the floor pans you won't want to put carpet down...It does look good...

Mike

Guest Anonymous

MiKelly,

I am curious about your new found rust. What brand bedliner did you use? Do you think that perhaps the POR Metal Prep may have prevented the bed liner from getting a good "tooth" into the metal and prevented it it from doing it's job? I am thinking (though, I have been wrong), that the phoshate from the Prep did not let the bed liner grab the metal, and the bedliner has created a film over the steel, actually permiting the moisture to lay under the bedliner.

Kind of like putting Saran Wrap on a bowl of food and stick'in it in the fridge.

If I am right about this, I hate to say it but, you better get that $#!T off of there. That moisture may just be festering a whole lot of grief.

Other thoughts, since I am not sure when you put the stuff on the floor;

If you put the stuff on, around the time you started to keep the Z outside in September, the moisture did not have enough of a chance to perk out. Keeping the Z wrapped up in the kind of weather we here in the MidAtlantic States have had this fall, may not have allowed the moisture to leave the car. Since your garage is not done yet, Get a small electric heater, maybe one of those 6" x 6" cube jobs, and stick it in the car and set it to maintain a temperature above dew point. Maybe 80F, to be safe. Crack a window open, to permit the moisture to escape (you may need to do something about that car cover too). The heat may only need to run at night, since the car may warm in the sun, unless it is in the shade.

Or you might try taking it to a paint shop, and put it in the oven for a bit.

In any case the bedliner has failed, the heat will kill the moisture for now.

Orange Crush, It is posible I suppose... However, The car was done last Febuary, and it has been in dry storage in my oTHER garage (I haver one attached to the house) and was only moved out doors in September, which means that it had from Febuary to September to dry out, and we had one of the wrst droutes of the last hundred years, so I doubt that would have allowed it to remain trapped... Further, I did JUST the por 15 on the outter side of the car floor boards and frame rails...I haven't even looked there yet. The rust is only showing in the welded seems so far, so who knows...

Mike

Guest m35514h

Mike do u think the problem could be with the way the bed liner adheres to the por? maybe it doesnt make a complete seal and water festers. That would be the only reason i could think of rust coming through unless it came from under the car and went through the POR from the bottom.

Guest 240hybrid

just curious, do you think that moisture could have gotten through and underneath your POR15/bed liner though the bottom of the pan. I know that there is a inch diameter rubber plug in my floor pan. Do you think water could have penetrated through this when driving in rain. I have seen some floor boards with multiple tiny drain holes, seems like great place for rust to start once inside car. Just a thought. Im about to replace my floor boards and would like to find out to prevent this after I install my new pans. I wont be driving in rainy weather and my car is garage kept so this my help greatly in preventing them from rusting I would think.

• 3 years later...

wheelwell1fn.jpg

hatch7az.jpg

Works Great! Like some one said you get sick/high in the process. Invest in a paper mask at least. I took everything down to bare metal; zinc coated it, and then applied the bed liner. I also suggest getting a few rollers. I only got one and it was toast after just the passenger floorboard. You don’t have to but I must say the part where the roller was still new has a better texture. If your carpeting it though, it doesn’t matter I guess.

BTW my car is for sale on ebay, if anyones intrested

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1974-Datsun-260Z-Restored-Low-Miles-Great-Condition_W0QQitemZ4646897721QQihZ002QQcategoryZ6187QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

couldnt you just clean all of your metal in the inside of the car, and just lay the bedliner?? or do you need the POR under it??

i used to hang out with vw guys (old skool) who used to use line-x in their busses and bugs. my square just had por, but the P/O who did it forgot to take out the rubber matting crap, and rust popped up there...