HybridZ

Sway bar with Wolf Creek Racing CV half shafts?

m1noel

I recently installed Wolf Creek's half shafts and now I can't get my old rear sway bar (Turn 6 circa 1985) to fit without interferance. I've flipped it over to go over the half shafts, tried different length end links, etc. but can't figure it out. I'll purchase a new bar if I need to but wan't to make sure it fits.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

Edited by m1noel

My swaybar is the rear mounted type. It needs short links to get under the CV boots. The best fit is with the factory style boots, The aftermarket boots do not have the necked down portion where the shaft hits. My shafts are in contact with the swaybar at full droop, They clear just fine when the car is on the ground.

In my Porsche CV conversion the same problem cropped up. My bar is mounted to the floorpan. I modified these mounts to move the bar forward (away from the CV) and also shortened the links. My conversion uses the Porsche 930 boot and flange. All other boots are really too big to work properly. The downside is the flanges are $145 each. The boot kits are available from Pelican Parts. http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/more_info.cgi?pn=928-332-097-00-OEM&catalog_description=%39%31%31%20Turbo%20%28%31%39%37%35%2D%38%36%29%20CV%20Joint%20Boot%20Flange%20%20

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/more_info.cgi?pn=901-332-293-12-M203&catalog_description=CV%20Boot%2C%20%39%31%31%20%28%31%39%37%34%2Dmid%20%31%39%37%35%29%2C%20%39%31%31%20Turbo%20%28%31%39%37%35%2D%38%34%29%20

m1noel,

your old rear sway bar mounts from behind your diff, right? would mounting it in front of the diff (like the early 240Z) be a viable solution?

i've been eyeing those wolf creek cv kits myself. how do you like them? they look pretty stout.

p.s. hi mark!

Going to try going back under the axels and shorten the links a little. I'm sure that will work when the car is not in full droop. I also think while I'm at it I'm going to order rear LCA's from ArizonaZ. Putting in new mustache bar bushings as soon as they get here.

• 2 weeks later...

So what did you finally do? I have been thinking about a rear-mounted sway bar for a while (everytime I try to drop my driveshaft with that pesky front-mounted sway bar that I have). Now is the time to change "while I'm at it" and the exhaust is off. Perhaps I could space the bar back a little and drill a hole further back on the LCA web?

Finally got it all back together. The "while I'm at it bug" caused me to order and install LCA's from Dave at Arizona Z. I didn't put the sway bar back on until the alignment was done. I had to shorten the link Dave supplied about a half inch, but no other mod's needed. By the way, his LCA's are really nice and have so much adjustability. And only took about 20 minutes a side to install- and no more spindle pins!

Awesome, I bet you can't wait to go test it out on a track! Let us know when you do. :icon14:

No crap, Just wish there were a road course less than 8 hours from here. I can tell you that the new axles have completely eliminated vibration from hard acceleration.

• 2 months later...

If you will come safety wire my Wolf Creek axles, I'll let you use one of the 2 road courses and 5 drag strips nearby. Safe and sound in Alabama after the storms/tornados. Just got internet back up. Have 7 extra people under my roof and going to do some storm clean up tomorrow. The 240z was safe and sound in the garage on jackstands where it has been planted firmly for about 4 months.