HybridZ

280zxt turbo flutter at 4k

Zguy91

I have an 83 280zx turbo with around 128xxx miles on it. I just replaced the TPS on it and now it drives pretty normal. Now the problem im running into is the car runs good up to about 4k rpm and the the turbo sputters/ surges. It seems to spool fine until 4k. I had to drive it from my parents house to mine around 200 miles and cruising at about 80 with the 3 speed puts you at about 4k and you could here the flutter from the turbo pretty bad so I slowed it down to about 70 and it was just fine. Also I get a little bit of white smoke in my exhaust but my compression numbers were excellent and i dont have any oil leaks. Im thinking the turbo needs a rebuild. What do you guys think. Could there be something else causing this problem. Do i need to adjust the TPS or are they pre adjusted when you buy a new one.

"Flutter"?

TPS works at idle, and that's about it other than engaging the WOT contact at around 30 degrees of the shaft rotation.

Does this 'flutter' feel like the car shuts off and then comes back on very quickly? At cruise the engine will not be in boost---is this the case?

Sounds more like a dead spot in the AFM that kills the car at a specific cruise rpm---changing rpms in the same gear will stop it as you found. Does it do it in every gear, or only cruise?

"Flutter"?

TPS works at idle, and that's about it other than engaging the WOT contact at around 30 degrees of the shaft rotation.

Does this 'flutter' feel like the car shuts off and then comes back on very quickly? At cruise the engine will not be in boost---is this the case?

Sounds more like a dead spot in the AFM that kills the car at a specific cruise rpm---changing rpms in the same gear will stop it as you found. Does it do it in every gear, or only cruise?

I think he is saying his compressor is surging. Similar to Big-Phil's car in his videos. He states at 80mph in the 4k RPM range, which isn't really cruising because at 4k rpms I would expect to be well into boost on a stock 280zxt. To me it sounds like a waste gate issue or something along those lines.

My friend bought a AE86 that had a battery relocated to its boot. It had a 4k dead spot/ flutter that sounds the same as you describe and he replaced the battery leads with bigger stronger ones and the problem was solved.

I don't know much about turbos I am just giving an example.

Yes im referring to compressor surge or atleast what sounds like it. It happens in any gear as soon as you hit 4k rpm. Im sorry if I was being vague but it really is strange. The turbo seems to spool fine but as soon as i hit 4k rpm it starts to surge and falls flat on its face.

Read the sticky on compressor surge and then realize the surge will not occur at the same rpm in different gears!

Again, my bet is electrical. Does the car free-rev above 4K rpms out of gear? Or does it hit 'a wall' and start sputtering and backfiring and just lumbers around that general rpm range?

Clean your injector and sensor connections and see if it helps change where your compressor surges at...

ok well replaced all the vacuum hoses and it runs alot better also ran some sea foam through it and replaced the fuel lines and fuel filter. Now it only flutters a little bit at 5k rpm. Pull it back in the garage and pop the cover off the afm. Looks like it had been pulled off before. Water standing in the afm ... So the problem is the afm. At full throttle on the afm the car will bog down but at any other position its fine. So need a new air flow meter. If anyone has one let me know

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I figured out its not the AFM like I thought it was. But after a full tune up it is much better. The flutter that i was describing actually turns out to be a lean misfire. It now only happens at about 5k rpm and up. Maybe the injectors? Idk