HybridZ

Question about nasa or scca

OK, being that there's hundreds of different classes, my question is which one I could possibly look into with the following prerequisites... Like i said before I have a 240 and I'm still deciding on its path but my friend wants to buy an mr2 and me road race with him. My first comment was there was no way seeing as how I was planning on using a carb L28 and from what I've heard, that would make the scca cry with their rule book in hand. After having said this he said I should ask if there was a class even still that a 240 with L28 with modified fuel and stock everything else except for the obvious suspension upgrades required (probably the tokico kit), could compete in with an mr2 with stock everything besides suspension. Thanks for any insight if anyone is a keen competitor. I tried searching through some of the rules but too much info and not enough specificity.

Thanks

Most local SCCA and NASA club racing regions have a "run what ya brung" class for production based cars. Here in SCCA Cal Club the class is called ITE and its pretty open. We have a 300ZX running with a LS2, a SN95 Mustang running with a Roush 427, and a couple pretty serious Corvettes. Your local region has something similar. As long as you do the required safety prep (roll cage, fire system, nets, kill switch, etc.) on the car and you have the required driver safety equipment (fire suit, helmet, gloves, shoes, HANS device, etc.) then you can go road racing with them. They will find a place for you to race.

OK, being that there's hundreds of different classes, my question is which one I could possibly look into with the following prerequisites... Like i said before I have a 240 and I'm still deciding on its path but my friend wants to buy an mr2 and me road race with him. My first comment was there was no way seeing as how I was planning on using a carb L28 and from what I've heard, that would make the scca cry with their rule book in hand. After having said this he said I should ask if there was a class even still that a 240 with L28 with modified fuel and stock everything else except for the obvious suspension upgrades required (probably the tokico kit), could compete in with an mr2 with stock everything besides suspension. Thanks for any insight if anyone is a keen competitor. I tried searching through some of the rules but too much info and not enough specificity.

Thanks

GK666.

SCCA won't cry, they just won't allow you to do it. Or, like someone else said, you may enter an all inclusive class like ITE. If you are trying to better yourself, this isn't the way to do it and the Z car would make short food out of the MR2. For great racing in SCCA and a host of race lengths to choose from, build your Z car to the ITS rules. Power isn't everything and being close to 200 hp ain't nothin to sneeze at. Now, on to NASA. You may time trial your car and compare to the MR2, but wheel to wheel may be difficult. They have a division where you begin in a certain class and end up in another class depending on how many and what type of modifications you have. Remember, the true sanctioning bodies have a job to keep parity. Nobody wants to see a particular car stink up the show week in and week out. So, to be competitive in NASA and SCCA, you must be able to learn the rules and have fun. Otherwise, just look up your local High Performance Driver Education companies and do track days with them.

Greg Ira

GK666.

SCCA won't cry, they just won't allow you to do it. Or, like someone else said, you may enter an all inclusive class like ITE. If you are trying to better yourself, this isn't the way to do it and the Z car would make short food out of the MR2. For great racing in SCCA and a host of race lengths to choose from, build your Z car to the ITS rules. Power isn't everything and being close to 200 hp ain't nothin to sneeze at. Now, on to NASA. You may time trial your car and compare to the MR2, but wheel to wheel may be difficult. They have a division where you begin in a certain class and end up in another class depending on how many and what type of modifications you have. Remember, the true sanctioning bodies have a job to keep parity. Nobody wants to see a particular car stink up the show week in and week out. So, to be competitive in NASA and SCCA, you must be able to learn the rules and have fun. Otherwise, just look up your local High Performance Driver Education companies and do track days with them.

Greg Ira

Yeah I've heard about ITE since I have a friend that ran something like a 400 horse mr2 in that and he said it's no fun since its just big name vettes that eat the competition and all I am truly looking for in my build is about 200 horsepower, and the time trials were also suggested to us and we did not really like the idea of that. So far from everything that we have heard the open race is the most likely course of events. I would like to own a car that requires skill to actually place in a road race, not like like a miata that just eats it up :D but I don't see the point road challenges where cars are putting down massive numbers, I might as well just save up for an LFA XD... I think we might have to limit our road challenges to back roads in maryland haha.

Thanks for the input guys.