HybridZ

Piston rings

First off forgive me, I have owned a 280zx and a 300zx (z31) but have been without z car for a long time, so all my previous z car knowledge is replaced with subaru stuff and now I want to get back into the game with a 280z. The car I am looking at smokes, the guy says piston rings maybe. I have never done any rebuilding or anything but I want to try if I have to. I have some friends who just rebuilt some motors and they would be able to help me out. My question I guess is how cheap can I go on replacing piston rings can I go without being stupid about it. Can I just leave the engine in and pull everything out the bottom and replace em and slap it back together? Or would this require pulling the motor?

Well having done it both ways, I'll tell you pulling the engine and rebuilding it out of the car is MUCH easier than working on it in the car, though you can do everything but plane the block with it in the car. A drill with a 10MM adaptor is the way to go on the 10000 oil pan bolts you'll have to remove. If you're doing the rings you might as well do the bearings as well, and doing those, the oil seals arent too tough but really it's all much easier with the engine on a stand, than crawling under the care and back out 20 times. Harbor freight is your friend. Just Autozone parts are cheap and high enough quality for a daily driver. The Haynes manual tells everything you need to know to do the whole job. Though if you have the valves done (which you should once the head is off) you should use the Ford Viton valve seals as they hold up better in a NON-LEADED gas environment. (The L28 originally was designed for leaded gas)

You should Rebuild it yourself, make it yours, And take a bunch of pictures and post them on here for our review and comments. We might be able to tell you a lot of tricks to make things much easier. Yeah people will say READ the manual, but that's not why we're here. We're here because we love Z's and love improving them. Why not help you improve your engine?

Oh definitely consider a timing chain set replacement as the same time. Maybe Swap the distrib for a ZX version. maybe swap your head for a P90A ZX hydralic version. There's a lot you can do to improve things while you're at it. In anycase, take lots of pictures!!!

Phar

Edit: Ahh just read you didn't get the car, oh well, keep looking, theres a few left.

Edited by Pharaohabq