HybridZ

starting problems

nissan_matt22

Possible problems. Are you sure you have spark at all the plug wires and spark from the coil wire to the cap?. The injectors may not have power or they could be clogged. The engine may be flooded. Have you tried holding the pedal to the floor while cranking it over?. Just some things to check and try.

Possible problems. Are you sure you have spark at all the plug wires and spark from the coil wire to the cap?. The injectors may not have power or they could be clogged. The engine may be flooded. Have you tried holding the pedal to the floor while cranking it over?. Just some things to check and

yea i did all that and nothing

How do you know your getting fuel? Have you tried to give it some gas like through a vacuum line to be sure?

I know ZX's will have a hard time picking up fuel if let sit for a long time sometimes.

A fix for that situation is to jump the pump and make it feed.

or a fuel filter is clogged.

If you know you have gas and spark, id check to see if all the wires where on right and not one off or something.

That tends to happen to me when my friends try to help, But they mean well. lol

pop a timing light on there.

so im trying to start my 81 non turbo zx for the first time in two years i did a basic tuneup (plugs oil wires ect) and it wont start. it just sits there and turns over.ive ruled out the obvious, like its getting gas and spark. any one with any ideas would be a big help thx

Hello,

My 1982 non-turbo will turn-over and not start if I put the Wrong KEY in the ignition. I have done this 3 times in 3 1/2 years. When I realize that I put the wrong key (door key) in the ignition, and put the ignition key in, as intended, the car starts. I did this again about 2 weeks ago. Same thing used to happen with an old Tercel I had.

itsa brand new ciol

the first thing i would do is check the obvious, battery at full charge, terminals are clean, connections are connected. after of course check for spark by removing plug while its connected to a wire and crank. but i assume you did all that already soooo what i would do is...

remove the dizzy cap, crank and see if rotor spins (should rotate), if it doesnt then diagnose from there (timing related parts, oil pump and so on). if it does, then you CAN replace the rotor and cap (cheap and easy). if that doesnt work and your coil is absolutely new, then wires.... all this is being said assuming your plugs are even properly gapped... if all that is fine.. then i guess you better start following the connection from the coil back.. i just redid most of my ignition system (coil, plugs, spark plug wires, cap, and rotor) theres also stuff like the ignition control module but im not sure if that will effect it.. i didnt have to replace it. but what i did is pretty much the main parts to replace if your having ignition problems.